Efke/Adox 100 Developing starting points

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Steve_7x, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Steve_7x

Steve_7x Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Greetings!

I have been a long time user of FP4+ for everything from 120 to 12x20 film. I have processed these films using a Jobo Processor and Drums using PMK (120 to 5x7) and Rollo Pyro for 8x10 and larger.

I recently purchased some Adox (Efke) 100 sheet film (8x10) as a test to see if this is an alternative for the more unique film sizes (7x11, 4x10 etc...) I shoot (had been using Photo Warehouse which was FP4). I am interested in gaining a starting point from which I can work with the film, ISO, devleopment time/process etc...

Presently I do the following:

PMK:
    Jobo set at nearly the slowest speed
    5 minute water pre wash with water
    5 minutes of PMK 1:2:100
    5 minutes of PMK 1:2:100 (second batch)
    1 minutes Water (stop)
    5 minutes using TF4
    2 minutes with Sodium Metaborate (.5 tsp / liter)
    Wash 20 minutes

Rollo
    Jobo set at nearly the slowest speed
    5 minute water pre wash with Sodium Metaborate (.5 tsp / liter)
    7 minutes of Rollo 15:30:1000
    1 minutes Water (stop)
    5 minutes using TF4
    2 minutes with Sodium Metaborate (.5 tsp / liter)
    Wash 20 minutes

I am interested in Dev time suggestions using PMK and Rollo, as well as PyroCat. I typically shoot FP4+ at 80-100 ISO and would likely start the same with the Efke/Adox.

Thanks in advance for your recomendations!
    Steve

2. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are using a neutral or alkaline pH fixer like TF4 then you don't need the final metaborate bath.

3. galyons

galyons Member

Steve,
    I use a Jobo with expert drums. PF Rollo Pyro, essentially same process that you listed. I determined a personal EI of 50 for PL100. I have been using efke for several years, back when fotoimpex was the source.

Cheers,
    Geary

4. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PL100, SBR7, 71F, 13-minutes in Pyrocat HD 1:1:100
    That's with continuous brush development which is supposed to be about the same time-wise as Jobo.
    As always, YMMV.
    juan

5. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm with you and Gary on the Rollo Pyro process/times. My main difference is I use a Beseler base.

I also use expert drums but unlike Gary I haven't got my personal anything figured out yet :smile: I keep waiting for a nice day to make my test exposures but have't had much luck lately. Maybe tomorrow.

Alan.

6. Steve_7x

Steve_7x Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Gerald - Thank you - yes I am aware that the final metaborate bath is not required. Old habits just die hard I guess

Geary - Thanks - just to clarify - when using PL100 and Rollo - you Develop for 7 minutes at 70 degrees? This would allow me to mix FP4 and PL100 which would be nice hmhhhh

Juan - I will try a batch of film with PyroCat and use your recomendation - thanks!

Alan - thanks for the additional comments about using Rollo in a drum - this helps tremendously.

I plan to shoot a little next week and develop soon after. Cheers!

Steve