Efke and Pyrocat hd

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by avandesande, Jun 9, 2003.

1. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Anyone using Efke pl100 and pyrocatachol hd? What ei have you found and your overall impression?
    Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Works just great for me! ISO 100 and developing by inspection gives nice results - no danger of blown highlights :wink:

3. PaulH

PaulH Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Just got a box of Efke PL100 and was thinking of using Pyrocat-HD instead of ABC.

Any ball-park times? When do you start looking?

Thanks

4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Since I mostly develop by inspection and don't use a timer, I have no precise times...

However, I did two batches in JOBO tank (inversion, 1.5liter solution): The first, at 9 minutes, was too thin for my taste; the second was a bit too much at 12 minutes. Somewhere around 10.5 minutes seems to be right.

When I develop in trays, I can usually see the negative (poor light-proofing) after about 6 minutes. Four more minutes sounds right(ish), but this is (more or less) continuous agitation.

I don't use any kind of safelight for this, just my sloppy lightproofing. I have not seen any tendency to fog on any of the film I have used so far, but I did fog one when I tried with a dark green safelight after 8 minutes development...