Efke and pyrocat

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Colin Graham, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Colin Graham

Colin Graham Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I was wondering if anyone has some general starting times for pl25 and 100 in the 1:1:100 dilution for enlarging. I use sheet film, in trays. I've done some searches and have seen times anywhere from 8 to 15 minutes. If anyone could narrow this down abit I'd appreciate it.

2. herb

herb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I shoot Efke 100 at 80 and develop in pyrocat hd for 9 1/2 minutes, tray development at 70F. gotta be careful about scratches. This for 5x7 and 8x10.

3. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot Efke 100 (120 roll, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10) rated at 100 and develop in 1+1+100 Pyrocat-HD, semi-stand agitation for 18 min. at 20 deg. C. I develop the 120 roll film in a SS tank on Hewes reels. I develop the sheet film either in slosher trays or BZT type tubes - depending on how much space (shared) I have available in the lab. I have no problem with scratches.

For semi-stand agitation I presoak the film for about 5 minutes, drain, gently agitate in the developer for 30 seconds and let stand for 8.5 minutes followed by 5 seconds of gentle agitation then stand for the remaining time. I use a water rinse, then fix with a neutral pH non-hardening ammonium thiosulfate based fixer.

4. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also use Efke 25, rated at 12. I develop Efke 25 with semi-stand agitation for 12 minutes at 20 deg. C.

I presoak the film for about 5 minutes, drain, gently agitate in the developer for 30 seconds and let stand for 5.5 minutes followed by 5 seconds of gentle agitation then stand for the remaining time. I use a water rinse, then fix with a neutral pH non-hardening ammonium thiosulfate based fixer.

5. Colin Graham

Colin Graham Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks for the info. Tom, looking forward to trying the semi-stand. I was wondering if you're seeing contrast control or adjacency effects more with this method (or both maybe)? Thanks again.

6. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're welcome, Colin.

I'm seeing both effects.

I have done 1:1 comparisons between semi-stand and minimum agitation. I define minimum agitation as 5 seconds of very gentle agitation per minute and a 30 percent reduction in developing time (from semi-stand).

I mostly contact print on Azo and find I prefer the semi-stand results.