EFKE developers

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by garryl, Jul 22, 2004.

1. garryl

garryl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Browsing the data sheets of EFKE films from JandC Photo, I notice reference
    to and times for EFKE FR-14, FR-16, and FR E-24 developers. Does anybody have any information about these products? What they are, what are their characteristics, or who handles them?

2. jandc

jandc Member

Efke FR-14 is similar to D-76. Efke no longer produces any of these developers and they are not available. FR E-24 was a high speed low grain developer with excellent push charasterics.

3. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For Efke 25 try PMK pyro. It gives very nice results with good tonal values, sharp edges and very smooth prints. Unblinkingeye.com has a decent list of developers for Efke.

4. Snapper

Snapper Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Do you have any timings for PMK + Efke 25 development? The 'massive dev chart' on www.digitaltruth.com only has times for Efke 100. Ta.

5. moretto

moretto Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    As far as I know, EFKE only delivers FR16, which is too fast to give satisfactory results(3-4 minutes). I am using D76, 1+1, for Efke KB25 and KB50 5-6 minutes, for KB100 about 10 minutes. Or Rodinal 1+100 for 12/14/16 minutes(25/50/100 asa).
    For fast developing you can use Ilfosol S, 1+9, 4 mins for 100 asa, 3-3,5 mins for 25 and 50, but you won't have very good results, about the same as FR16.

6. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only remaining Efke (Fotokemika) chemicals are FR-16 developer and FF-2 fixer (both liquid concentrates). The also produce fixer in powdered form (FF-4, I think).
    Nothing special, although I like the results I'm getting wuth FR-16 for paper development with Efke papers. Under certain conditions it amost acts as a warmtone developer (I noticed it mostly with my contact prints).

7. haris

haris Guest

FR-16 is so called "universal" developer, that is, it is for film and paper. As Denis said, nothing special, but if you don't have anything else and are in a hurry, it will develop your film. I used it for developing EFKE papers, and few times I developed efke film (EFKE) it was OK. Then again, it was in my young photography days, so I didn't have much experience then (not that I have it much more today :smile:)...