efke film loading problem

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by malheur 72, Nov 26, 2007.

1. malheur 72

malheur 72 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recently aquired a Leica IIIa and have been experimenting with different films. I loaded some Efke 100 and when I tried advancing the film, the mechanism stuck. My Leica dealer looked at it, felt that something got bent, and sent it off for a repair estimate. I noticed that this film stock is thicker than most (all?). Do you think it may have created too much resistance for an old mechaism to handle? I've had no problem loading modern films. Jim

2. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have not used the Leica III in any of its forms but I doubt that film thickness is the problem. I recently had a talk with a fellow photographer who used a Leica IIIb and, being a self-described traditionalist, he used efke films in his camera almost exclusively.

3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Efke films work fine in my Russian rangefinders, which are probably a lot fussier than any Leica in the film transport department. I imagine it was just dumb luck that the Efke film was in the camera at the time.

4. DannL

DannL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a note stuck to my computer monitor which says, Lucky 100 and Neopan SS is okay. Efke is too thick. I wrote the note to myself months ago with regards to loading the IIIa. :sad:

5. malheur 72

malheur 72 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    response

Thank you for your responses - at the very least I will be very careful if I try the efke film again