Efke fim Update and possible special order

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Jim Fitzgerald, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I wanted to post this here and over at the LFF.

I was at Freestyle today and I met with Eric Joseph who handles all of the ordering for Freestyle. The Fotokemika production is done! No more coating. The factory will close. They have inventory and master rolls that have been coated. This has been reported here in another thread.

Eric told me that they have master rolls coated but he can not get an answer as to how much. So, Freestyle will place one last order for Efke film for them to cut and send to them. I asked about the possibility of cutting Efke 25 in 8x20. We would have to do a 10 box minimum most likely and if we do more all the better. Price now is $175.99 a box. (I'm using the PL-100 pricing) As an 8x20 shooter I'd like to see if I could stock up on this film if I could. Please pm me or send me an e-mail to jim@carbonartphotography.com if you are interested. Eric can not guarantee that they will do this but I think if there is interest we could get it done. Freestyle would bring it in and handle the shipping and payment. Please let me know. We need to act on this right away.

Also, if some of you are interested in 11x14 Efke-25 let me know and it may be possible to have this cut as well.Just throwing it out there for those who may be interested so let me know. I may go for 3-4 boxes of 8x20 if I can swing it.

2. padraigm

padraigm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well this is somewhat good news. I can continue to built my stock for a while longer.

3. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I'm sorry, but does this mean Efke film is no longer being made at all?

(I read through some other threads but I cannot seem to understand what's going on :sad: )

4. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    As I understand it, when the master rolls that are already coated and ready to cut are cut and the sizes that are ordered are shipped that is it. No more!

5. Jim17x

Jim17x Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does this affect Adox films or just Efke?

6. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How many sheets in a box, Jim?

7. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I do not know if this effects Adox. I believe that Efke supplies Adox with their film and it is just boxed as Adox. Don't quote me on that because I am not sure and I do not want to cause any problems if I am wrong. The 8x20 is 25 sheet boxes.

8. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  9. Jim17x

Jim17x Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From how I understand it, these new Adox films are the first to be produced from the old Agfa research lab coating machines. They aren't the old Efke emulsions.

Jim B.

11. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, Jim 17x, that is definitely not what the post linked by zsas says. I do not see how you can read that and come to the conclusion that you did.

In fact, the Efke films are discontinued, as of now. Also, all the ADOX CHS films are discontinued, because they are, in fact, Efke films. There may be a small amount on merchant's shelves, and there may be a last bit in the pipeline, but it isn't that much and it won't last long. So they are discontinued. Forever gone.

Mirko was saying that they plan to bring a "replacement" to market, starting with the 100 ASA film. That replacement won't be identical to Efke 25, 50, and 100 or the corresponding Adox films. The replacements don't exist in the market yet, and there is no guarantee that they ever will.

A replacement for the Efke IR820 infrared film is not contemplated by anyone, so far as I have heard. Neither for the Efke ORT orthochromatic film. No one has stepped up to making 127 rolls in any emulsion either.

All of these Fotokemika films are discontinued. They are gone forever. They will not be produced under a different name. Whatever replacements ADOX Fotoimpex may be able to develop and market, they won't be the same films.

12. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well said Skip. In short, although I have great faith that ADOX will do a class act formulating replacement emulsions for us in the CHS line as Mirko outlines (even the 400 ISO too!), however, I sadly concede that forever, some great film is gone.....

13. Jim17x

Jim17x Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no idea as to why i thought that either.. I guess the thought of losing my favorite film made me delusional! I will hit Freestyle and stock up on 120 & 4x5.

14. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I hope Adox will have a better qc too...