Efke PL25 Ortho, any clues on processing?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by tony lockerbie, Oct 12, 2008.

1. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just bought a box of this film to try, but can't find any info anywhere on the processing of this stuff. There was a little leaflet enclosed with the film that recommended Rodinal at 1:10, yes 1:10, for four minutes. Seemed odd to me but I tried it, and wound up with almost black negs. I rated the film at 25 and 12, but they were all pretty much black. I'm interested in pictorial contrast for shady landscapes, may try a couple of portraits as well.
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Cheers, Tony

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ortho films are often used to copy line drawings etc & a high contrast is often desired. Try processing like the normal EFKE PL25 and you should be fine. I used to use !+50 with Rodinal I think for 9 minutes at 20C.

Ian

3. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Tony,

Ortho films can be developed in trays by inspection using a red safelight. I find that using a white tray makes it much easier.

Neal Wydra

4. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    POTA or Modified Windisch Film Developer from http://www.photoformulary.com (or mix yourself) should work well with this film, and give normal contrast.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The EFKE Ortho PL25 isn't a microfilm and isn't inherently contrasty so developers like POTA or modified Windisch aren't really appropriate at all. Just use a standard developer like Rodinal @ 1+50 or D76/ID-11.

Ian

6. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here's the information Maco provides (Maco ORT25 is the same film):

http://www.mahn.net/TAOrte.htm

7. tony lockerbie

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many thanks all..... I will give the Rodinal 1:50 a try.

Tony

8. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Let us know how it went!

9. tony lockerbie

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, shall do when I get a moment. Also found some Neofin Doku, which I may give a go as well.

Tony

10. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any regular black and white developer will work. Rodinal 1/10 must be their suggestion for high contrast results. Aside from its color response, this film behaves no differently than any other black and white film, so just apply your knowledge of developing panchromatic films and you should be fine.

11. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rodinal 1+100 for 10-11 minutes should do the trick (agitating 1/minute)
    It gives you pictorial quality on the EFKE25 films

this from fotoimpex:
    ADOX APH09 1+40: 4-6 Minuten
    ADOX ATM49 Stammlösung: 6 Minuten
    Rodinal 1+50: 4-6 Minuten
    D76 Stammlösung: 6 Minuten

12. Karl A

Karl A Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello, I just received some sheets of this film (PL 25 ORT). For some reason it says on the package "open only in total darkness". I believe this film can be loaded into holders and processed under red safelighting, since it is orthochromatic. I assume that statement is just a generic warning since their packaging is probably the same for all their products within a given size? Just wondering if I should be concerned. Thanks for any insights.

Karl

13. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would follow the instructions and open in total darkness. Take one sheet out and expose it to a safelight to see what happens.

14. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pretty serious thread resurrection here. I expect that the film *should* be safe under a safelight and the "total darkness" is just generic boilerplate, but it seems like free insurance to do a test with one sheet first.

I didn't realize this was the same film as the Maco/Rollei ORT25. Wonderful stuff---I liked it in Diafine, where it showed high (but still pictorial) contrast with a nice long shoulder due to the compensation. I'm not sure what it was intended for, but it made a great high-key landscape film.

-NT

15. Karl A

Karl A Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I will test a sheet to be sure, thanks. I will process two identical sheets, one in darkness, the other under safelighting.

With regard to the Rollei film, I am pretty sure it is not Efke film. I believe it is rebadged Agfa document film. For that reason, the stopping of production of Efke films should have no impact on Rollei films. At least that is my understanding. Possibly at some time in the past it was different?

Adox, on the other hand, was previously selling a rebadged version of Ekfe 25 ORT when it was still being produced, and that Adox product is now discontinued.

Karl

16. Karl A

Karl A Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I tested a sheet, it is fine under red safelighting. One thing I forgot, though, is this film doesn't like a conventional stop bath, it can cause pinholes, which it seems to have done. Will just use water after developer next time. It is generally a fairly fragile film which needs to be processed gently. I did use a hardening fixer however (Kodafix).