EFKE Print Film

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by nawagi, Jan 25, 2009.

1. nawagi

nawagi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Greetings Friends-

Anyone have experience with this continuous tone film? I tried it this weekend with great failure.

Failure 1: I loaded it under my Thomas safelight (orthochromatic, like paper right?) and all those sheets fogged big time. So, I went back to the dim red bulb.

Failure 2: Round two at least had an an image on the film- but also appeared fogged, and very very flat.

Tech: Shot these babies at ASA 25, souped in Dektol 1:1 at 70 degrees for two minutes.

So, if you have any keen insights I would be much appreciative.

NWG

2. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    Efke 25 is not orthochromatic, but rather panchromatic (with reduced red sensitivity)! A quick look at the spectral response curve confirms this. I would suggest loading in complete darkness, and processing normally; that should solve your contrast and fogging woes (fog reduces contrast).

3. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Efke print film is not efke 25. Two different things. Freestyle sells both. I can't help beyond that, just wanted to clarify.

print film- http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php

4. MrMushroomMan

MrMushroomMan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Maco Genius Film is a lot more sensitive than APHS. I've had problems with it fogging under red safe light too. To process it in trays, I can't have a safelight in the bathroom with me, rather, it's in the next room (also light tight) and i only just have a hope of seeing the trays and maybe the buttons on the timer. I use Ilford Multigrade 1+9 for about 1minute. I last used the stuff for kirlian photography and I remember just about seeing an image come up so there must be enough light for vaguely inspecting it.

6. rst

rst Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I worked with ADOX Display Film. But I am not sure if this is the same as efke Print Film. I used red safe light and had no fogging. Never tried Maco Genius Film.

Cheers
    Ruediger

7. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be very interested to read what experiences people have had with the Efke print film, because I have thought about using it for enlarged negatives.