Eh, I'm bored...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by drumminor2nd, May 6, 2011.

1. drumminor2nd

drumminor2nd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After almost 2 years of lurking with an account, and another 5 or so without, I figure I might as well introduce myself.

Hi!

My name is Bob. I'm a 25-year-old assistant news editor for a tiny daily newspaper in upstate NY. Many moons ago, I studied photography in college, but I haven't had the space for a darkroom since.

I got bored tonight, and after a quick trip to Walgreens for some cheap film, I went out and shot a roll for the first time in years. God, I missed this :smile:.

I'll be looking for some info on building my new darkroom (plenty of space in my new house), as well as some alternatives to my old Tri-X (I priced a 100ft roll at 75 freaking dollars at B&H... last time I bought it was $45 or so... damn) and maybe to get rid of some of my lesser-used stuff for something new and nice.

Thanks for reading and looking,
    --Bob

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
  2. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Bob!!! Welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts. :D

3. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from western PA (and I grew up in a small town in upstate NY).

4. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home Bob.

I Love Upstate New York !

Ron

5. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome home.

6. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome.

Try Arista Premium 400 from Freestyle as a cheaper alternative. It is relabeled Tri-X. At a bit over $2 per roll, you can skip the bulk loading and still be well ahead. And if you do still want to bulk load, it is available in 100 foot rolls for about $45. This is after a price increase, too. It was about $30 a roll a few months ago.

7. Sweettea

Sweettea Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hiddy-Ho Bob! Nice to read you're channeling that boredom! Cheers

8. drumminor2nd

drumminor2nd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the encouragement, all. I used to bulk load short-dated Tri-X a couple of years ago, and that worked out well for me. It goes well with my other hobby, actually (sporter rifle-style target shooting, where I have to reload to save money and up accuracy).

I've done some searching on the Arista films and papers, and those might do for on the cheap. I'm not looking at making any money, I just like taking pictures :smile:.

I came back to this hobby... umm... today... after emptying out my storage shed, which has been loaded for more than a year. I found all my darkroom stuff, plus my F3 and FM and lenses. I haven't even been shooting my D90, which was chilling at my office for months at a time without even being turned on. So sad :sad:.

But since I work for a newspaper office, we have tons of darkroom stuff just gathering dust here, and the boss said it's mine if I get it out of here, hehe. So, that's two Omega D2's I'll have, as well as a Bessler 23 and lots of other goodies.

9. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Bob!

free gear is always sweet! those D2s are very good! Freestyle has good deals on their recan/rebadged films. The Legacy Pro B&W 400 ISO 35mm 20 Roll Pack (Short-date Special) (neopan) is on sale for $35, HP5+ is also on sale as buy 1 get 1 free (2roll pack) $4.59.

the arista edu papers are good value as well, I burn through boxes of those where I teach photography, excellent to practice on if your a bit rusty, or to make contact sheets.

10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Bob! I hop you enjoy being here.

Jeff

11. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Bob!

12. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG Bob - I am sure you will enjoy your time spent here.

From Western Canada
    Regards
    Gord