Ektachrome or Fujichrome

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Ektagraphic, Jul 16, 2009.

Which do you shoot more of?

1. I shoot more Ekachrome than Fujichrome

35 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. I shoot more Fujichrome than Ektachrome

47 vote(s)
    51.6%
  3. I shoot about the same amount of Kodak as I do Fuji.

9 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you shoot more Fujichrome or more Ektachrome. I'm just curious as to who holds more of the E-6 market.

2. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot more Ektachrome, but that's because I got a large stash of rolls for free. If I was actually spending my money, I would probably use more Fujichrome, except for Elite Chrome 100, my favorite "all-around" E-6 film.

3. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fujichrome for sure. Ektachromes that I like to use are special emulsions which today are no longer sold: 320T and EIR come immediately to mind. I used E200 once. But virtually all the E-6 I've ever shot since I picked up a camera in late 1997 — my first E-6 roll in April 1998 — is Fujichrome. At first, it was Sensia, but I mostly fell into using MS100/1000. Later, I tried Provia and Velvia and found that I liked the former, while loathing the latter. Now I mostly shoot Provia and T64, as well as the remainder of MS100/1000 stock that I still have frozen. I've yet to try Astia, but would like to. Fortia SP, if it is ever made again, would be fun to try, but not really worth using it often.

4. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji's strongest points for my shooting are T64 and Provia 400X. I also like Velvia 100F for certain things. I have used Provia 100F quite a lot, as I used a lot of it when I got mad over Kodak's discontinuations and switched, but I have to admit that I do prefer the Kodak films when I want a medium-speed daylight film, and have switched back. Very occasionally, I will employ Velvia 50 or 100.

For Kodak, I love EPN and EPP. For daylight and flash, they are absolutely perfect, and there is not a thing I would change about them. I believe EPN is discontinued, however. There are a bunch more discontinued Ektachromes that I loved. For most things, I prefer EPP over any of the E100s.

5. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Provia 400X is the only slide film I buy fresh - my favourite Ektachrome: 320T is now gone and I have to get it old off ebay.

I wanted to try E200, but a recent thread here said it's no longer distributed in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  6. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fujichrome, though that could change because the last roll I received back from their new franchised processor had fingerprints on some slides. I wrote to them in May, chased them a month later but still have had no reply. Very disappointing.

Steve

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't used Ektachrome for more than twenty years, I'm sure the current range will be excellent but the company I buy my films from ( the only one in the city left that sells pro film that is refrigerated ) that is also an official Fuji processing lab, only sells Fuji film and processes slides in two hours, which I find very convenient.

8. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Generally, I'll shoot whatever 120 chrome I can get cheap - out-of-date or near-dated. Fresh is great but cheap is better, IMO. :smile: I fully respect Fuji's offerings, and recently bagged a couple of rolls of fresh Velvia 100. I haven't tried Astia. Until about two years ago, I avoided Ektachrome because of the old 'Ektachrome blues' that these films used to suffer from. But I've fallen for the new Ektachromes, especially Ektachrome 100VS; I like that film's response to yellows and reds - quite close to Kodachrome IMO - so it's my new fave rave. There's a pro pack of Ektachrome 100 (EPN) in my freezer bought for £10 and one of E100VS and the Velvia. With the amount I shoot, that'll last me a year or two.

In mono, it's home-grown Ilford every time.

9. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tend to use either Kodachrome or Fujichrome, I guess that now K14 is deleted I'll be using 400x and Astia with the odd roll of Velvia. I used to like the the old Ektachrome 64 pro but moved to Fuji 50F in the late 1980's I have only used a few Kodak E-6 films since but will possibly try 100VS if I get the time.

10. Stephen Schoof

Stephen Schoof Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fujichrome by far (almost entirely Velvia 50, though also some Velvia 100F, Velvia 100, and Provia 400X). If Kodak would update E100VS with finer grain, I'd use it a whole lot more; as it is I only use it rarely for wildlife when I'm sure I won't be including lots of sky area.

This isn't a partisan thing for me - I generally prefer Kodak products when it comes to color negative.

11. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I really like E100, but I buy whatever I can find cheap. If I had to pick a company, I would go Fuji because of Provia 400x.

12. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I feel all alone out here shooting Ektachrome. It seems like more people shoot the Fujichromes. I like Ektachorme because I think that overall throughout all of the Ektachrome films, the colors are more realistic compared to most of the Fujichrome films.

13. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you tried all the Fujichrome films? Each one renders colour very differently. I'm told Astia is fairly "realistic" in the sense of recording how the eye sees things, but I haven't tried it yet.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have tried them. I also find that my Ektachrome that was processed in Fuji's chemicals is not as sharp as when it is processed Kodak.

16. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ektachrome 64T is the only chrome film I shoot. Thankfully, it's available in all formats from 35mm to 8x10. I sure do miss Readyloads, though.

17. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    @40 responses (sure, a very small sample size) it looks to be statistically dead even...
    Interesting! :smile:

18. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I suspect that you might find a fairly even US (Kodak) vs R.O.W (Fuji) thing going on there as well.

19. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Interesting that during the day yesterday Fuji was more popular. Overnight Kodak had become more popular. Perhaps confirming Aurum's idea.

20. james23p

james23p Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I still am a Kodachrome shooter until the end. That said I have started to use Ektachrome E100G very nice film. For snaps I use Elitechrome 100 since I can get it at a very good price. So I would say I use more Ektachrome but I do like Fujichrome Astia 100F and Provia 400x.

Jim

21. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To be honest, now that I have an enlarger and room for the dark again, I am back to shooting more negs. Had shot almost exclusively chrome the last 2 years...and it probably was an even mix of E100GX, and Fuji Velvia, with a smattering of Kodachrome thrown in for nostalgia.
    Jed

22. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Once I've used my last 14 rolls of K64, I'll be moving to EPP, assuming it isn't discontinued before I've used up my current stash of 15 rolls. Never tried Provia or Astia. Velvia OK for the right subject in small doses, and something about the colour cast of Sensia that I don't like (I once shot 3 rolls of Sensia 100, and 3 of Kodachrome 64 on the same holiday in similar weather conditions, and the Kodachrome look so much more natural and pleasing to my eye).

Ian

23. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fresh EIR is still made and sold in bulk for aerial photography, there is a guy who buys it, cuts it down and sells it on ebay in 35mm and 120.

I love Astia 100f, it is my answer to anything - lovely sunsets, landscapes, portraits, nudes, finest grain, best latitude.

24. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This actually surprises me. I was SURE that the number of Fujifilm shooters would blow away the number of Ektachrome shooters by a wide margin. It just seems like SO many more people shoot Fuji than Kodak.

25. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was suprised too! As I already mentioned, I feel alone shooting Ektachrome.....

26. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I'm aware. Cheers.

I have a couple of 2007-expiry EIR left in the freezer. I might try his 120, though.