Ektachrome

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Ektagraphic, Aug 1, 2009.

Which do you shoot more of?

1. I shoot more E100G

21 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. I shoot more E100VS

18 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. I shoot more E200

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. I shoot more Ektachrome 100 Plus

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. I shoot more Ektachrome 64T

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. I shoot a pretty equal amount of all the Ektachrome films

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Which film do you use more of? I am trying to gather which films we may end up having the longest.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about the rest of us who shoot Fujichrome ? Some of us prefer Fuji films

Ian

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I shoot chrome I've lean toward E100G.

Jeff

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I shot chrome I began with Verichrome Pan :D

Ian

5. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The last option (equal amounts) is rather ambiguous.
    I "shoot a pretty equal amount of all the Ektachrome films", the amount being none at all.

6. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Your assuming that popularity is the only factor, there are actually many factors involved in how long a product lives, for example:

Difficulty and cost to manufacture and the similarity to other products in the lineup, are also factors. As for me, I don't recall ever shooting Ektachrome, all my slides were shot over a 2 year period, and I think on Fujichrome film, it was all nearly 30 years ago.

7. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just voted... my response was 100VS....

Gee what a surprise...duh... G is hard to find and now GX is going bye-bye and has been impossible to find since at least May of this year!

8. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    E200. It's fast and convenient.

9. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Another thing that will make it difficult, impossible even, to determine which film is most popular is that you do not know how much "more" is. You are counting people who prefer something or another, not how much of their preferred film they use.
    What if, say, the people shooting more of the least popular film in this poll use twice as much of that film than all other films together?
    Most buyers does not equal most sold.

Still, a fun poll!

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Something like number of rolls per month or per year.

[By the way, how many rolls of discontinued film do you shoot a year?]

Steve

11. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is intersting how there is such a low turn out for E200

12. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like E100VS, and have a few 120 rolls in the freezer. I also have some EPN 100, but as that's long gone it doesn't really count. It'll be at least a year until I've used my stocks up - I'm hoping at least VS will be there when I reload.

13. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    E100VS is beautiful stuff, I love it to bits. When Kodak finally drop it, that'll be the last film I ever buy in a yellow box - not out of spite, just because that's the only one of their films I really like. But boy, I do love it so - at the moment I'm "happy" to hand over eye watering amounts of cash to buy it in 35mm, 120 and 4x5.

As an aside, anyone grumbling about Ilford B&W price rises clearly hasn't experienced the sticker shock of buying Ektachrome sheet film...

14. ljsegil

ljsegil Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Another vote for E100VS. I prefer it over Velvia 50 for landscape work, I just find the colors more believable and less garish. On the other hand, my results with E100G have been disappointing: drab, strange color casts in the shadows.
    Larry

15. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think the last Ektachromes I used with any frequency were EPN for very neutral and accurate color reproduction and EPJ (320T), which was very versatile as a fast color transparency film for night photography or filtered to daylight. Both have been discontinued, so the slide films I use most are Provia 100F, 400F until I finish my stash and switch to 400X, and Astia 100F, with a little Kodachrome in there occasionally.

16. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would have assumed E100G and E100VS to be the most popular. I personally like to use them all and I do.

17. Stephen Schoof

Stephen Schoof Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The only Ektachrome I use is VS, though I greatly prefer Velvia 50. I tend to like E100VS's color palette better than the 100-speed Velvias, but it's so grainy in comparison (in 35mm at least) that I usually reach for Velvia 100F or 100 anyway when I need the speed ... I'd love to buy more VS but it seems the chances of Kodak updating it with finer grain are pretty slim at this point.

18. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd say the chances are more like zero. Kodak has made it quite clear that they are done with slide film.

19. filmamigo

filmamigo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    E100VS is really the only reversal film I shoot anymore. I love the look of it. It's a phenomenal film and irreplaceable. I like the results I've gotten from Ektar but it's no E100VS.

As for volume, I shoot maybe one roll of it every two months.

If you count Super 8, then I shoot a little E64T as well.

20. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The only Ektachrome I never really looked at was E100VS because I am one for natural and not overly saturated colors. I just tried it and I am stunned. I really like its colors and I can see why it is so well liked!

21. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Probably because most slide shooters are generally into daytime outdoor photography (nature, mountains, cityscapes, buildings, bridges, etc). And for this sort of photgraphy, the fine grain and sharpness of a slower film trumps speed.

I know that alot of people think that people like us are fools for not switching to C41 films. But let's face it. Slide film has a visual impact to it that C41 will NEVER be able to duplicate. Also, if you like to project, then you are out of luck with C41.

22. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think E100VS suffers from people's experience with Velvia... Thanks to Velvia people seem to assume a saturated slide film also has to look completely unrealistic and cartoonish; E100VS is proof this doesn't need to be the case.

E100VS is actually perfectly natural to me; it's the only film I know that renders colours as I see them - I find all other colour films rather 'muted' compared to the memory in my head.

23. Stephen Schoof

Stephen Schoof Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's all personal taste I guess - I've always thought VS was more cartoonish than Velvia (I mean the original 50 here), especially the way it overdoes reds and yellows to the point of turning mostly-brown leaves reddish and popping real reds beyond the level of anything I've experienced in nature. To me Velvia sees the world more like I do. To each his/her own, though - I hope VS stays around for a long time, and if they'd reduce the grain I'd still find a lot more uses for it.

24. WGibsonPhotography

WGibsonPhotography Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I voted I shoot pretty much an equal amount of all the ektachrome films, meaning I shoot none. I make up for it by shooting just as much of the other slide films. :D

I'd really like tostart shooting slide film. I think it's pretty cool to project a slide rather than look at a print every once in a while. you know, just to change it up a bit. Unfortunately, I probably wont shoot enough to justify buying a kit of e-6 chems, and i'm too poor to go and pay $8 or $10 or whatever the only local photo store will charge me. I'm not a big fan of mailing film off or trusting Wal-Mart to do it for me, either (Poor and paranoid arent really a good combination :/)

25. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you don't shoot any very often, please don't select an option as it messes the accuracy of the results :smile: