EL-Nikkor f2.8 versus f4.0

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by chuck94022, May 5, 2005.

1. chuck94022

chuck94022 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which is the better lens? the f2.8 or the f4? Other than the 2.8 being brighter while focusing, of course, is there a qualitative difference between the lenses?

2. geraldatwork

geraldatwork Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The 2.8 version is a 6 element lens which helps to give a flatter field. The 4 is a 4 element lens and will produce more distortion at the edges. I would assume the 6 element lens will produce shaper prints at greater magnifications.

3. chuck94022

chuck94022 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks! And, since I'm shopping around, I might as well shop for the absolute best, perfect 35mm enlarging lens. Any recommendations? If not the EL-Nikkor f2.8, then what?

4. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Nikon 63mm unless you want to spend a lot more money. Then the various APO lenses.

5. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best bang for the buck has got to be one of the f/2.8, 6 element offerings from Nikon, Schneider, or Rodestock. Pick one, they're all good. APO lenses are good for giant sized (greater than 11x14) enlargements, but otherwise likely to be a waste of money.

6. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    EL Nikkor 5.6

Just noticed this thread and wanted to ask for advise on the EL Nikkor 5.6 105mm lens. I am about to purchase one and the seller tells me it is a 6 element lens. Is this true and is it a good lens for 6x7 negs.

Peter

7. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use an older 105mm f/5.6 EL Nikkor and it is an excellent lens for 6x7. I have made very sharp 16x20's with this lens.

The 50mm f/2.8 EL Nikkor is also excellent for 35mm. I have an f/4 that came with an enlarger I bought, but I haven't tested it out. I do use it as a decent loupe to inspect negs before printing however.

8. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 105mm will actually cover 6x9.

9. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does anyone know if the EL Nikkor f5.6 105mm is a 6 element lens?

10. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All the Nikon lenses other then the 50mm F/4.0 and the 75mm are six element designes. So yes the 105mm is a six element.

11. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Nick.

12. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used a 50mm El Nikkor f/4 for 30 years, which I bought in the late 60's. A few years ago I thought about buying a 2.8. So I borrowed a brand new 2.8 and made comparison prints at 16x20 enlargement. When getting the exposures the same (even at the same f/stops, I had to adjust between lenses), the difference in sharpness, contrast, etc, all the things you look for in a lens, was..... the envelope please....
    indistiguishable, at least for me, so I didn't buy the 2.8. Lucky for me though, I came into one for free a short while later, and the extra brightness is nice for focusing, etc.

Ain't photography great?