El-Nikkor Serial Number Relevance

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by JeffD, Mar 23, 2005.

1. JeffD

JeffD Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello,

I have been offered a 150mm El Nikkor enlarging lens,
    serial number 516022.

Is there anything significant that this serial
    number might tell me as to features, or lack
    of features that this lense might posess?

Thanks!

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. JeffD

JeffD Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  4. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    $200 is a bit high in today's market. I picked up a mint 150mm Nikkor for $125, and I think I may have overpaid. If you can inspect it, or return it may be a good deal.

5. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That looks like my 50mm but my serial number is lower . From memory mine is early 1980s or so. $200 is high in this market. A brand new 135mm Nikon is only $320 for the grey market model at B&H.

6. JeffD

JeffD Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  7. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You know, Jeff...what is exorbitant to one person is reasonable to another. :wink:

I think what's important is...is this something you need/want? Do you feel it is a good value? If so, by all means get it!

8. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The more expensive model is imported by Nikon USA. It'll carry the Nikon warranty. The cheaper one is imported by B&H and if you have any problems will be serviced by B&H.

In today's market $200 is rich. Search the completed Ebay auctions. You won't find many lenses even getting close to $200. Somebody bought a Rodenstock for $23. Now that's damn cheap but less then $100 for a 150mm lens shouldn't be too hard to find.

9. JohnArs

JohnArs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi

In my opinion this lens is quiet old around end of 1970s in my opinion. I got a 135 mm for around 150 but an almost new one.
    If you need it not very urgent look for a newer model!
    Good luck.

10. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems High -- As stated above -- check finished auctions on ebay for a real price.

11. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I personally wouldn't go over $100 for it...probably not over $75 unless it was in like-new condition. Enlarger lenses are dirt cheap these days, and the prices are still headed south.

I picked up a Schneider 135mm Componon-S for under $70. Killer lens...for my use, I can't imagine every finding anything better. (I'm sure the APO-Schneider HM lenses perform better wide open, but how often do any of us use an enlarger lens that way?)

You've already been given the best advice: Check eBay completed auction prices. I found two of the newer versions that have sold recently: one for $100 and one for $175. Both in great shape, and both the latest Nikkor optics and coatings. The one you've got pictured (which, by the way, will almost certainly perform as well as the newest lenses if you stop down to f/8) is an older lens and shouldn't bring as much as the newer lenses. (To be honest, I was surprised by the $175 sale...there are lots of sales of good 150mm lenses on eBay for well under $100.)

Having said all of this...if the lens is worth $200 to you, go for it. But if it's really worth that much to you, you can probably buy an almost-new, recent vintage lens on eBay for the money.