?El Nikor

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Dave Wooten, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have a 210 5.6 El Nikor...got in a trade for "stuff" I am assuming this is a enlarging lense since i have some el nikors for my d2v? It is a large lense..........

Is this for enlarging only or at all.....

Thanks again
    Dave

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd think it was an enlarging lens for 5x7".

3. Canuck

Canuck Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The El designation is/was the Nikon way of saying I am an enlarging lens :smile:. I have heardd of people trying use it as a taking lens but don't know about the results.

4. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks wow that was fast....I think I have all the parts for an old 5 x 7 (was able to get the manual for it ((Elwood)) from a kind fellow apug member a week or so ago....so that is good news.....this lens looks absolutely new...I have a 190 7.5 inch wallensak pro raptar I have just unwrapped that came with the enlarger parts....supposed to cover 5 x 7

will have to "A" "B" them

5. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I use a 180mm for 57, but use the 210 El Nikkor for 810. It covers and is just fine with a 1212 light source.

6. Max Power

Max Power Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From first hand experience...Spectacular bokeh and not much else!!!

I have both 75mm and 50mm EL-Nikors for my 23CII. They are both LTM so one day I decided to try them out on my FED5 for laughs (the FED is LTM). With the 75mm stopped down to f22, one can just sorta make out the vague outline of distant objects :smile: F4 is a total write-off!

Kent

7. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Enlarging lenses have no focusing mount. It stands to reason that you need to have some sort of focusing device if you plan to use it as a taking lens. This is usually accomplished with a bellows like a PB-4 for Nikon. Pentax made one for their screw mount cameras as well. All you need is an adapter on the lens end to mate the 39mm Leica scre mount to the bellows. Works great for copying flat art.

8. dphphoto

dphphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I once had a 180mm Schneider Companon mounted in a Compur shutter. It made more than decent 4X5 negs even enlarged to 16X20. It eventually developed a severe case of schneider-itis and I sold it for a song.
    I also had a cheap 75mm something-or-another mounted in a prontor press shutter. I unscrewed the lens from the shutter and taped a 80mm vivitar enlarging lens to that. Did I get some weird negs with that!

9. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Er, what's schneider-itis?

David.

10. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Plastic aperture blades that warp and disintegrate.

11. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I think I'd like to use it on an enlarger I have an old elwood am getting together...5 x 7 ... would like to find the apparatus to convert my old Bessler to 8 x 10 and use it on that....I d like to make 16 20 prints so dont think I d need to much head room.....?

12. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My understanding is: the black paint that flakes off the inside of the barrel on some lenses.

Cheers, Bob.

13. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What I've usually seen described as schneideritis is a flaking off of the black paint on the inside of the lens barrel. It gives black spots on the glass an shiny spots on the barrel, but doesn't really affect the performance of the lens (very much).

14. dphphoto

dphphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very good description of schneider-itis. As you said, it doesn't affect the performance of the lens very much, but it sure affects the resale value. In that sense, it's similar to a lens with seperation on the front elements.