electric hasselblad

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by johnielvis, Apr 19, 2012.

1. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I never thought I'd get one of them, but there was a 500 el/m on craigslist for a hundred and ten bucks...couldn't resist--GLAD I got it--man are they NICE---I can really see these things encouraging you to burn the film, man....I love just hitting the button and having the mirror come back automatically and wind and not having to move my hands around to crank..I can keep my hand on the focus of the lens and the other hand on the trigger! these things change the shooting style almost immediately--

if you never tried one, hey--I highly recommend--I used to be only "manual only" but man...these things rock!!!! got the 9 volt conversion....LOVE it!!!!

Or maybe it's just "new toy" syndrome

there's one at KEH right now for 109 bucks!!!! somebody please buy it so I don't get another one just to "get the deal"...I found myself looking at it 3 times today...WHY...I just got the other one yesterday and haven't even pulled a roll of film through it yet....but already I'm scheming to get a backup camera....I do NOT need another--I didn't NEED this one...BUT now GLAD I got it!!!!!

2. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I helped a neighbor sell one of these about a year ago. Got to play with it a little first (just to make sure it all worked). It is indeed a really nice camera!

3. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yeah! anybody wants to start with hasselblad, these are going dirt cheap and they are GOOD or better than a regular c/m depending on the application

I got it on a whim with a mind to rig an intervalometer to it,---AND the shutter release is electric, so that makes some shutter tripping things easier if it can be done with a switch rather than a cable release---all kinds of applications...of course now I need an intervalometer--I think I had one that worked for a slide projector...now to dig dig dig

but folks, these are every bit as good--don't know why the bad rap for them these days.

4. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Uh oh, I shouldn't have read this! So what is the deal with the batteries -- are the originals not available any more? Is the 9V conversion an off the shelf product, or does it involve sending it out for servicing?

5. pgomena

pgomena Member

Aftermarket lithium-ion batteries were available for them a few years ago. Be sure you get a charger when you buy the camera. Be aware also that the electric Hasselblads often were used with the earlier model Leaf 3-shot digital backs. We had three in the studio I used to manage. They saw some very heavy use, and we had a strict maintenance schedule for the bodies. They performed extremely well in almost daily use for several years, but they saw considerable wear-and-tear.

Peter Gomena

6. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Remain Calm !

I Just Purchased The KEH Camera For $109.00

I Would Hate To See You Suffer With Two Of Those Blasted Things.
    I'm Just Saying ...

Enjoy The Weekend !

Ron

7. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 9-volt kit works really great with these.

Mike

8. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    HA!!! GOOD. I just checked before lunch and it was GONE..so I looked over here and THERE it is you got it...GOOD--someone got it and I don't have to agonize now--I would be checking that thing every day...I probably would have ordered it on the weekend for sure!

Thanks- and that 9v works great!!!!!! I hope you like it like i do---man, for that kind of money, you CAN'T go wrong--THAT was a deal.

9. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks For The Update John !

My 500C Is Getting Olde, And Cranky ... Kinda Like Me.
    So This Should Keep Me Going For A Few More Years !

I'm getting ready to move, and the Hasselblad equipment has already been
    relocated, it will be a few more weeks until we are reunited. Looking forward
    to photographing Hartsdale with the EL/M ! Now I'll need to get an a-24 Back
    to help consume all the 220 in the veggie bin !

Thanks For The Motivation !

Ron

10. Len Robertson

Len Robertson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nick - Replacement batteries may be available, but I suspect expensive. The 9V conversion is so cheap and easy, I can't imagine not doing it instead. There are sellers on eBay who have 9V adapters. Just search "Hasselblad 9 volt" or some variation on that. I got one of those when I bought my ELX off eBay. I knew it was possible to make my own adapter, but I was in a hurry to get something running before the return period on the camera ran out.

I did a quick search for DIY 9V adapters and found this page: http://www.nic.fi/~sos/hasseli/hassy-acessories.htm I suspect there are other pages on the subject, so you may want to search more than I did. If you are thinking of getting a motorized body, it may be worth making up a 9V adapter so you can test any body you find with bad or missing Ni-Cads.

And I agree with everyone else - a motorized Hasselblad is way cool, and often found at bargain prices.

Len

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OP is obviously a wise man with good taste and a great set of values.

Welcome to Hasselblad!

12. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Threads like this should be banned!

To explain... I read this thread last night. On a whim, I checked the Craig's list for my state, and there was a Hasselblad 500C advertised about 3 hours from me. The ad was a few weeks old, and said it had been stored for many years. I emailed the seller, and it belonged to her father. He bought it new in 66, and it had not been used since he passed away over twenty years ago.

The seller had taken it in and had it CLA'ed at a reputable shop in their town. (Got the receipt, service report, and got to speak with the person who worked on it.).

So I spent six hours driving today, and now I have a 500C that looks pristine, has two backs, both viewfinders, lens hood, 80mm 2.8 planar, and the original leather case, along with some filters and a Gossen Lunasix.

I hold this site and this thread, responsible....

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

May the Force of GAS with you be! - Yoda

14. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The EL Has Landed.

It's A Magnificent Machine !

Ron

15. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yeah--for what some of these are going for, it's really hard to not grab every bargain I see--and there seem to be a glut of them recently....as soon as you get more than one body, then you start looking for more--

16. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't believe how much this animal weighs when the prism finder is attached !

I'll have to go to Home Depot, and get some Stainless Steel Cable, to be able to
    carry this thing around town. Or maybe I'll just carry it on my moving trolley ...

Ron

Attached Files:

17. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I use mine I just tell people that it is the Moon camera....which it kinda is! Also agree that they are truly bargains, seem to be half the price of CM's.

18. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yeah--I put a prism on it---it's just BIG--the prism balances it out I think....this thing is perfect for the 40mm...with the regular bodies, the 40 lens is too big for the camera to sit flat...but this motor on the bottom gives it the extra height needed...of course the front weight of the lens makes it want to pitch down though...oh well...