Elwood 5x7?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Nick Zentena, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anybody know anything about these enlargers? Anybody using one? Bulbs?

Thanks

2. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Aristo makes a cold light for this enlarger and can be seen at www.aristogrid.com

I have two actually and I finally put them out to pasture last March when I bought a Durst 138

The blubs are very hard to find and pricey when you do locate one.

lee\c

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm hoping to use a frosted mogul bulb. It seems the last owner was using a clear bulb.

How did you like yours? I'm only going to use it for 5x7.

4. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have one. I use it. It's a big rugged enlarger and it has absolutely nothing automatic or fancy on it. It's easy to work on. It uses wooden negative and lens stages so they're easy to make. It's easy to adjust. It takes standard medium base bulbs. The bulbs are easy to find and buy although they are a tad pricey ($10.00 ??) and have a relatively short life (3 hours) given that they are a fairly high temperature. If you are an experimenter, you can use a regular long life, lower temperature bulb, run it from a variac wired to give you 140-150vac (depending on the variac) and you'll have higher temps (correct kelvin # ) and longer life also. The diffuser and heat glass stages are regular "crystal" glass (cheap at any decent glass store) and the diffuser stage is just sandblasted with denser blasting at the centre to give an even spread of light. If you want a scan of the manual, let me know. I have an original manual.

cheers

ps : in case it wasn't obvious - I really like mine.

5. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ther bulb to use is a PH213 - medium regular with an extender to position it for correct light distribution in the reflective dome. They are available from Buchanan Lighting or Litemor or any commercial lighting company that knows what they're doing.
    My manual - thought it was original - forgot - it is a very good copy.

6. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of these monsters, too. I'm confused about the negative tray - I have two trays and either could be for the negative (both have openings larger than 5x7). One is a little higher in the light path than the other. Which is the correct one for use as negative carrier, and what is the other for? Would it have been for a filter for multi-grade paper?

I also can find absolutely nothing on it indicating a model number. Does anyone know how to tell them apart? Mine is all metal and was probably originally acquired by a military base during or shortly after WWII.
    juan

7. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    John I have the Elwood (in pieces) and will be assembling it shortly--don't know yet if I have all the parts as I purchased it disassembled....It would be helpful to see the manual as it probably has a photo of the assembled unit? Mine has a large dome housing for the bulb....

Thanks

Dave in Vegas

8. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I'd love the manual-). The 213 doesn't sound right. I thought they used one of the PH300 type bulbs [300 or 301?]

If you increase the voltage doesn't that lower the life? If the 213 works why not just use the 212? Or are you saying run a 212 at higher voltage? The 212 temp is fine. It might be underpowered at 150watts. Those compact flourscents I found would be perfect but they have to burn upright and the larger ones can't be enclosed.

Dave you can see a picture of the one I'm getting at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7528518152&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

9. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi guys,

I will scan the manual this week and post it to a website then provide a link. I don't know if there's any place here on APUG to keep it, but if there is, that would be a help as I have limited web space so I can only leave it up for a little while (couple of months maybe).

cheers

10. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll post it with the other enlarger manuals on my site if you want.

11. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nick that might work

lee\c

13. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I should be able to find it locally. I hope-)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I would be interested in hearing if you can find it locally as it could sub for a 213 I am using in a Durst 138

lee\c

16. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last year when I thought I had a line on an Elwood 8x10 I spent some time with the yellow pages. I remember finding mogul bulbs fairly easily. At least that's what I remember. Industrial lighting places IIRC. The bulbs are still in use.

17. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  18. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks John. It takes a PS30 bulb not the PS35 I thought. A little cheaper then-)))

19. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You're very welcome Nick. If you'd like to host the file on your website, please feel free. I'm quite happy to see anyone who needs it be able to get their (virtual) hands on it.

The reason that I went with a PH213 was partially because of the size. Going to the larger type of bulb would have required rebasing and the socket in mine is in nice shape as is the wiring, footswitch etc.
    I tried some lower powered bulbs, even some of the PS30 style bulbs, but was unable to find any with the correct type of heavy white frosting. The ones I was able to get left the pictures "muddy" and needed a much longer exposure time compared to the PH213

The fellow who supplies my PH213 bulbs is a "Buchanan" of Buchanan lighting and is very interested in solving problems of this type. He suggested a halogen bulb in a medium base as having a temperature closer to the original. I didn't know then how high in Kelvin I could go, but it appears that upwards of 3500K won't hurt anything and possibly as much as 4000K will work.

If anyone needs bulbs and can't get the PH213's, I'll be happy to buy and ship to you at my cost.

cheers eh?

20. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks so much for the manual!

I wonder if I can stll get my reflector re silvered for 5.75!

Printed it out...looks good...is the exact model I have in a dis assembled state!

21. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John the 213 is still common. Even Henry's has it in stock at all thier stores. Or at least most of them.

If you're using graded paper you can go all blue with the bulb. With VC you need some green. The bulbs I'm buying to rig up the 8x10 enlarger are 5000K. I figure they'll be faster and run cooler then using a normal 3000K bulb. The problem is they can only be mounted straight up and don't like being inclosed. The reason for the PS30 is it places the bulb in the right spot.

Do you have the diffusion glass in place? It looks like the last owner of the enlarger I'm getting was using a clear bulb. The base on the PS30 is still a medium base I think. It's just the bulb is bigger.

22. MikeS

MikeS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have an Elwood 5x7 as my one and only enlarger. I primarily do 4x5 sheetfilm, and it's worked great. Does anyone know if they ever made a negative carrier for roll film for it? When I got my enlarger it had a good bulb in it, and came with an extra (which I'm currently using now), so I'm kind of interested in alternative bulbs, as this one isn't going to last forever! Thanks for the links, and manual, they will come in handy.

I like the Elwood, but then it's been about 30 years since I used any other enlarger, so I don't have much to compare it to! Would I be better off getting a smaller enlarger to do roll film with? I'd rather not if I can avoid it, as I don't have lots of room in my darkroom for another enlarger!

-Mike

23. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have never seen the Elwood 8 x 10 does anyone have experience with that one.....I have heard they are not as monstrous as some enlargers....or would one be better off fitting a 4 x 5 bessler to 8 x 10 ?

24. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check the manual John posted. It covers the negative carriers. If you have the glass carrier you can just mask it off. No?

Dave I was looking at an 8x10 last year. It may be smaller then some 8x10s but it didn't seem that small to me.

25. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi Nick,

Sorry, I missed this question completely. I use my 5x7 Elwood for my 4x5 negatives. I didn't have an OEM carrier, so I made one out of wood, used two pieces of glass to sandwich the negatives and created a place for the negative to sit by masking it off with black electrical tape on the lower glass.

I hope this helps.

cheers eh?

26. MikeS

MikeS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've always used my Elwood for 4x5 sheet film (well, did a couple of 5x7 sheets too), but I've just gotten a 120 back, as well as a couple of 70mm backs for my camera, so will be doing those formats as well. With my current negative holder this is going to be a real pain in the behind, as it would require each shot cut separately from the roll! Does anyone have any roll film negative carriers for the 5x7 Elwood they want to get rid of? If not, does anyone have a roll film carrier for the Elwood I could borrow? If I could see one in person, I can probably duplicate it without too much trouble. Thanks in advance!

-Mike