Emulsion transfer didn't stick

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by winger, May 21, 2006.

1. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did a few emulsion transfers last night (using Fuji instant, not Polaroid). Two of them stayed stuck to the watercolor paper, but the third popped off. It's dry and intact, but not stuck to the paper. Which is better - wet them both again or use some type of glue? Of course, it's the one that I liked the best.

2. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    1. Some papers are better for emulsion transfer and some are not.

2. It's better to wet the pola negative in an alkaline solution, it helps the emulsion to detach and stick on the paper.

3. I don't think a glue would be a good idea.

4. In the past, I had some success with Fuji instant, but Polaroid 4x5 was better. If you want something easy and quick, try to spray some window cleaner on the negative just before sticking it on the paper. Apply gentle pressure with a roller for 1 minute, then peel. I did that in a shop where I used to work (printing and doind passport Polas) with every Passport picture's negative I used. It worked most of the times. The only material I had in hand was Ajax window cleaner and a fat permanent marker for rolling... If you don't wait for the pola to print on its own paper, it's even better...

3. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I haven't heard of anyone having much luck using the Fuji instant film for emulsion transfers, primarily for the same reason you discovered.

4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Coating the paper with a thin layer of gelatin beforehand might help. Then you slide the transfer onto the paper+gelatin and it may hold better.

PE

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If two stuck and one popped off the same paper, my guess is that you had put the "popper" upside down. The outer surface of the emulsion doesn't stick very well. Rewet, and reverse! :smile:

6. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    i have tried the fuji film for lifts as well, and was told it won't lift,

However, it did and rather easy in fact. The issue is making it adhere to the paper or what every your using. Ole , i tried both sides of the film and neither would adhere.

On the other hand, with polaroid film it doesn't make much difference which side is placed down, it sticks.

7. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, the lifting was quite easy. I do think that the paper on the non-stuck one didn't get as wet. The other 2 seem quite stuck, actually. I don't really have much to lose by re-wetting it, so maybe I'll try that first. And there are some neat glues for scrapbooking that might be ok if this turns into an experiment.
    Thanks!

ps-I tried the Fuji cause I have a bunch, but next tries will be with Polaroid.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2006