Enable 1V personal functions w/o EOS Link software?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by agphotography, Dec 24, 2011.

1. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey everyone, I was wondering if it is possible to enable/disable the Personal Fuctions of the EOS 1V without te EOS Link software? I don't have the cable or software, and to my knowledge it doesn't even work on Mac OS X.

I'm interested in trying some of the functions but I can't seem to find a way to enable them without the cable and software.

Any ideas?

2. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found this on Canon's Japanese web site and hope it might be of use to you, although I'm not sure what you'd need as far as that missing cable connector goes.

EOS Link Software ES-E1 Version 1.20 for Mac(Nov. 24, 2000)

Reading about, it seems there might be dramas getting it to run on newer Macs, although not being a Mac user, I've no idea about that. Sorry!

3. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I work on a Mac mostly, but for my 1V, I dedicated an old EEE PC (netbook) running windows XP to the task - the software is really small, and so a terrible/underpowered netbook is perfect. The software is one thing, but the cable is the killer - usb to Canon proprietary plug with a mystery box in between - I just gave up in the end and bought one :-(

Marc!

4. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use an old XP box for my older 1 series digis but the 1V needs that cable.
    CPS still supported the 1v a year or so ago but iI'm not sure if they recently dropped eligibility for this wammer/jammer.

I wanted to get the software up & running because I have a problem with gear.
    I like to have everything working up to spec but there really aren't any PF's that are that great unless you are perhaps a sports shooter.

I didn't know you scored a 1V Abram.
    Congratulations. :wizard:

5. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is that smiley there for good reason? IOW, was it expensive?

6. Paul Green

Paul Green Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry to hijack the thread but what does the canon software support / offer?

7. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  8. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On the rare occasion that these come up for grabs, the asking price is generally around the $400 mark so I'd say Marc's little sad face back there is justified.

9. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was mostly to experiment with some of the settings, mostly the "silent shutter". I wanted to see if it was like the 1D in that respect. None of the features are too mission critical, it's basically just to appease my curiosity.

And thank you Bruce! It was a great score, I made an offer on one that was extremely clean. Only had 25 rolls through it :smile:

I am absolutely loving this camera so far. It's a beast!

10. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry, I misread the smiley for a happy one. That price is obviously nothing to be happy about.

I don't understand this from Canon BTW. First they make a proprietary cable for their flagship camera- fair enough though slightly annoying and unnecessary. Then they discontinue that camera without keeping some stock of the accessoires? This is a professional camera, come on.

Fortunately I only own the lousy 1N :joyful:

11. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It gets better; they actually stopped supporting the 1V before they stopped selling the camera. Kind of makes me glad my little Elan II has no bells and whistles - although that data sync ability looks saaa-weeeet! :D

Hope someone can hook you up with that cable, Abram. My curiosity would be be in hyperdrive also!

12. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Molli is exactly right about my sad little emoticon... And I bought the cable to mess around with trap focus and roll data - which, in writing about it, I haven't really done at all. I'll add that to the other 7,000 new year's resolutions pending...

Marc!

13. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Huh!? "lousy"..!?
    Hear, Hear! Recant, or I'll unleash 'Brutus' on you! :laugh: :pouty:

14. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nikon did about the same thing for their F5 Photo secretary.

15. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought it was a typo with someone saying the cable was around $400.... Shockingly it wasn't! This sounds like The price hikes on the original FD to EOS adapter.

I'm not going to shell out another $400 for a cable. Too bad there's no 3rd party option.