Enlarger bulb burned after 30 min.

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by mauro35, Jan 8, 2014.

1. mauro35

mauro35 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just received my Beseler Cadet II enlarger, after deciding to set-up my darkroom and finally try to print. I wanted to try how the image projects on the base-board and start to get familiar with the process. Except the lamp burned. I think I have not even had it on for 30 min. in total (not continuosly, but on and off several times, trying to see some of my negatives projected).
    Did anybody have a similar experience or have some idea what could cause that? I have a replacement lamp and I changed it. Everything seems to work fine now, but I don't think it will be feasible to change lamp after every printing session. Can I just call it bad luck or should I be worried? Maybe it's a bad sign...to remind me my negatives don't deserve to see paper...

2. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most of my bulbs have lasted for years of printing sessions (2 or 3 at least and I usually got to print at least once a week). I did have one bulb blow the same session it was put in, though. I'd guess it might have been dropped before I got it or something. I tend to order them in groups of 4 or 5 to stock up in case they get the axe.
    Are you sure you had the right bulb and the right electrical "stuff"?

3. smithdoor

smithdoor Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Some Beseler have a variable transformer that will increase voltage up it this to high it will burn out the bulb c\
    Check the voltage at the ligh bulb.

Dave

4. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had 2o3 halogen bulbs burn out in a Durst L1200 in 10 yearsand I print almost every day. I keep a few at hand just in case.Please be aware that on/off is harder for a bulb than duration.Get a few spares and start printing.Amortized over a feww hundred prints, the cost for bulbs is close to nil.:D

5. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it was a sign to remind you to print before the green party outlaws enlarger bulbs:tongue:

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Non-halogen incandescant lamps for enlargers are overrated from the start. That means they last much less than household incandescant lamps.
    If then you even have higher voltage than those lamps are rated for (as your net runs on the "new" voltage standard and that lamp is still made for the old Standard) that will definitively be too much. For the exact duration in this case I would have to check tables and nomograms though.

As said, check the voltage (in case you have a voltmeter) and the rating of the burnt lamp and report again.

7. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't know what kind of bulb that particular enlarger uses. But in terms of general info, the bulb could have been weakened by the enlarger
    being bounced around during shipment. Touching a halogen bulb with bare fingers will cause them to pop. An unusually severe sudden change in temp can sometimes do it, as can an excessive voltage surge. Halogen bulbs used in typical colorhead are not affected by new light bulb regulations. I just had a halogen pop in one of my colorheads, but it's the first one in that particular unit in over a decade. The quality of bulb
    can make a huge difference. A halogen make in the US or Japan might last for years, while the generic cheapo equivalent made in China might
    pop in a week. Cheap price generally equals cheap quality. Halogens also have a specific required burn position. If it's an old screw-in opal lamp, however, you'll need an archaeologist to help you find another one. ... better modernize the head.

8. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    ... but I obviously have no idea what the bulb rules are in Finland, or what mfg sources you have there. EU made bulbs are easy to get here from specialized outlets, and I assume the reverse it true.

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Drew,
    Have you ever seen a hot halogen bulb popping after having touched before?
    All I can imagine is burning in of fatty residues. I find it hard to believe that those tiny patches could after burning to coal heat the glass excessively.
    (I guess its time for an experiment... I still got two weak car bulbs in reserve. Maybe I'll sacrifice one.)

10. ac12

ac12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bulb lifetime is an average.
    Some bulbs will burn out FAST others will last a LONG time.
    It could be one of the bulbs on the FAST end of the bulb lifetime. I have had house light bulb burn out soon after installing so, it happens.
    Or if the enlarger is used, the first bulb may have been used for a LONG time before you got it, so it was on the last hour of its life.

Hope the 2nd bulb lasts.
    Gud luk

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there any chance that the enlarger is set up for 120V?

12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Then the lamp would have been blown immidiately.

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably had a PH140 in it. The PH140 could be confused as a 'home illumination' light bulb by an uneducated tree-hugger or beaurocrat, so they might someday get banned. Currently they are easy to find and inexpensive, so you can stock up.They don't last very long. Average life only 35 hours.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My durst 4x5 pro had a ph213 bulb in in, popped after just a few test prints when I got it. Rated life: 3 hrs LOL I ended up switching to a lower wattage bulb, longer printing times but less heat, and much longer life.

Sometimes newer bulbs just arent good out of the box, I got a brand new set of bathroom mirror compact fluorescents that were pretty pricey as they have a tiny screw in base, and out of a new pack of 4, 1 died after 1 day. It happens, but its also good practice to try and not touch any bulbs that can get really hot with bare hands as the oils can affect them.

Also, one time in my darkroom class a student slid a LPL6700 head up the column way to fast, and after hitting the top of if the bulb popped, and its filament was broken. So shock is a factor too.

16. mauro35

mauro35 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you all! I see there is a lot to know on this topic as well. The lamp was a P3/3 ES, 220v/75W, like this one:

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/products/239/lamps-p33-es-screw-enlarger-lamp-75w

It looks just like the PH140. It´s not halogen, is it? Maybe there is a better alternative/version? I could not find anything with lower wattage. If it´s like this I guess I´ll just have to stock-up a pile and especially find a place where to buy them locally.

17. mauro35

mauro35 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually, I called the store where I bought the enlarger and the lamp is not the P3/3, but the PH-140 as ic-racer posted. I'm now trying to find a local source of these lamps, but it looks almost hopeless. I'll end up spending a lot of money in shipping...I didn' t know this enlarger-lamp issue was so complicated.

18. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Beseler 670 also uses the PH-140. The bulbs are so cheap here, I don't mind replacing them, but you don't want to be right in the middle of an important project and "ping" out goes the bulb.

I wonder if there is an LED option? Probably would cost an arm and a leg....

19. mauro35

mauro35 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, I was also wondering about a LED. How long does the PH-140 last for you on average?

20. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    40-100 hours? hard to tell exactly. Quite a while. I never timed it.

21. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  22. mauro35

mauro35 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Ian! Thank you for the links. I must confess I was expecting longer life-times. But there are so many things to consider when starting-up. I'm learning...

23. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    OK. I get it ... I did look up the bulb. But it's hard to imagine that an enlarging head was designed using something only a notch above an applicance bulb, intended for cheap amateur slide projectors, and frankly, a style of bulb infamous for temp or handling shock. But these bulbs are still made in quantity and dirt cheap, so you keep a number on hand until you find a better light source for your enlarger chassis.

24. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a fairly similar Beseler Dichro 35 that I use for 35mm. The lamp has lasted for years. A few things to check: Are you using the correct lamp? - there are a lot of similar lamps, and not all of them are designed for line voltage; are you operating the enlarger at the designed line voltage? did the lamp have fingerprints or grease on it? - these can make the lamp fail; was the lamp installed correctly? - this can be tricky, and what looks right may not be correct.

25. Paul Glover

Paul Glover Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are places making LED heads (white light and variable contrast) for some enlargers. They are not cheap. Some people have made homebrew LED heads that work, too.

I'm early on in the process of testing an off-the-shelf 60 watt equivalent LED which cost $10 at my local Lowes (a Utilitech Pro bulb). I had to choose carefully because many of these have very uneven light patterns or oddball designs or other quibbles which would make them unsuitable as a condenser light source on a timer, luckily my old timer has mechanical relays and will switch the small load of an LED bulb without trouble. The bulb I'm trying out illuminates very evenly across its surface just as the PH140 does and puts out maybe 3/4 of the level of light which is still plenty. But I need to bodge together a lamp holder which will position it at the right height as it's about an inch longer than the PH140 and a bit too wide to fit in the stock lampholder; the heatsink fins prevent it from screwing in properly, though it will fit down into the lamphouse without any problem. Even then, I'll have to see how it affects contrast.

26. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let us know how it turns out! I would not count on these bulbs being available forever.