Enlarger bulbs already scarce?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by ITD, Oct 9, 2007.

1. ITD

ITD Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    After reading the thread about filament bulbs being discontinued in the UK - http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/43000-filament-bulbs-disappear-uk.html I thought I'd better see about getting some additional spares.

Seems that due to a Philips factory closing down they are already unavailable for my Meopta enlarger, at least my searching and enquiring so far has turned up nothing.

The bulb that I'm using is a 240v 150W E27 fit type P605 E/51-P3/4. I've also tried looking for the Osram product versions, but they no longer appear on the Osram catalogue.

So, any ideas about equivalents, or do I need to start looking for a cold light head?

Thanks

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is another thread http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/39208-enlarger-bulbs-there-any-hope.html.

You could try contacting Mirko at FOTOIMPEX, as I haven't seen any of these new lamps advertised by UK suppliers.

Alternatively, scour any remaining small photographic shops you can find. I picked up another couple of PF605 lamps for me stockpile a few weeks ago in this way.

Ian

4. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    in regards to osram bulbs and other bulb types my brother in law works for osram and is like a living catalog of what is available and who makes it. if you supply me with a code for what you need i can find the information out for you.

I always get him to supply me with the bulbs I need.

Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab

5. ITD

ITD Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks, massive price increase from last time, but put against the cost of a VC head...

The manual for the enlarger (Meopta Opemus 6 B&W) recommends the 150W, and I'm getting reasonable length (15-40s) exposures, so I guess it's OK.

6. ITD

ITD Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Stephen, the Osram type number quoted in the manual is 4613 or 4633 - from context, I think those are the 75W and 150W respectively. I'm looking for the 150W. Thanks!

7. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Try Technical Lamps in London. I got my lamps for my Durst M605 there. I have a 100 and 75W lamps for it( the 100W was producing too short an exposure time). I found the staff there very helpful.

pentaxuser

8. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was going to ask if you tried RK as they are the Meopta distributor for the UK (http://www.thedarkroom.co.uk/) but I just checked and they seem to be out of stock too! Might be worth a call though.

Good luck, Bob.

9. leeturner

leeturner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks goodness the DeVere uses the same lamp as disco lights. The A125/9 ELC is available in a 500 hour long life version. Around £15 for a twin pack and readily available.

10. ITD

ITD Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Reply back from them this morning - all their stock was cleared out by one of their college customers on Monday. Bit of a run on bulbs going!

Just found some 75W ones at Technical Bulbs - ordered a few just in case - rather have longer exposures than none. BTW, would you normally think that 15s exposures are too short?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  11. goros

goros Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My local shop in Bilbao probably has some. Let me check and if you wish, I can send some to you.

Cheers

12. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you really get to the point where you have no source of the correct lamp, you could try gently sanding the logo from the end of a standard opal lamp.

The Opemus 6 has a piece of glass between the lamp and filter drawer - the primary purpose is to block heat but it is ground (at least, it is on mine) so also acts as a diffuser so it will reduce any unevenness in light to some extent.

Not as good as finding the correct lamp, as all your timings will change and the light will never be quite as even, but better than nothing.

Ian

13. ADOX Fotoimpex

ADOX Fotoimpex Partner Partner

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Opal enlarger bulbs

The bulbs are beeing remanufactured in Germany and are available since about three months.
    The pricer went up a bit but is still within reason. We currently charge 9,90 EUR plus tax.

We can supply anyone who needs 240 V bulbs out of our stock and if need is we can distribute the 110 Version to other dealers.

110 V has a minimum order size involved though.

If you are located in the UK try our partner retrophotographic.com.

If he does not have the bulbs in stock already he can always get them from us.

Best regards,

Mirko

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ITD

ITD Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks Mirko - funny I'd never noticed your link on that site before! I'll give them a go.

16. haris

haris Guest

I bought 10 bulbs (150w, E25, perfect for Meopta) from fotoimpex about 2 months ago. So, yes, they are still available and I want to say thank you Mirko and fotoimpex.

17. rlightfoot

rlightfoot Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    I'm finding it difficult to locate any 150W enlarger bulbs in the UK... The bayonet fitting ones seem even more scarce.

Does anyone have any alternative solutions to the bulb problem?
    Are any other types of bulbs are suitable?
    What happens when they ban traditional lamps in the UK? :sad:

18. haris

haris Guest

Did you read this thread at all...?! Just three posts above yours, Mirko from fotoimpex said bulbs are available either from them directly or from their partner in UK. So, try them.

Alternatives are using colour or multigrade heads for your enlarger, they use halogen bulbs which are easy to find. Next alternatives are waiting for developing of afordable and usable LED lamps for enlargers.

So, buy some 10 or 20 or... bulbs now, and be secure for future.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  19. rlightfoot

rlightfoot Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Yeah, sorry.. I did read that post, but when I checked retrophotographic, they didn't have any. If I get desperate, I guess I'll email and ask if they can get a shipment in.

So do all modern enlargers use halogen bulbs? I've only ever used my dad's old one that's from the 60s.

20. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't bother it's already there:
    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/LED_Coldlight.pdf

or (in German):
    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/LED_Kaltlicht_Prospekt_D.pdf

Especially meant for the more larger formats.
    Up till 6x9cm:
    SPL-CL2: Eur. 1643,- (Split Grade controller included)
    Without, if you already have one: Eur. 819,- cold light source only.
    19% German/Dutch VAT INCLUDED, so outside EU: Eur. 688,-
    4x5" head,
    SPL-CL3: Eur. 1998,-
    Cold light source only: Eur. 1174,- , outside EU: Eur. 986,-

The interesting part is that this cold light LED source is working on both condensor and diffuser systems. Red LEDs also included for focussing. In the program you can switch for dodging and burning via the red LED option for partial precise handling of each subject. Very sofisticated!

Big money but then you will never use any bulbs again :wink:

Best regards,

Robert

21. rlightfoot

rlightfoot Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    That looks very nice, but the price puts me out of the market... at least for now.

22. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  23. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's only 6x9?

Does Aristo sell into Europe? Or something similar.

24. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    6x9cm yes, or 4x5" or bigger (8x10") or even bigger if you have enough money to spend :tongue:

Aristo? No idea.
    Heiland is selling worldwide via his distributors.

http://www.heilandelectronic.de/

25. haris

haris Guest

If retrophotographic doesn't have them, ask fotoimpex, www.fotoimpex.de

About enlargers: For example, I use almost 30 years old Meopta Magnifax 4 (and Opemus 5) enlergers. Both enlargers for ordinary b/w head use incadescent bulbs (for example good old Philips Photocrescenta). But, when I replace b/w head on same enlargers with colour head, both colour heads use halogen bulbs. Then, some enlargers use cold cathode light sources (I never have seen any of them, not to mention not worked with them, so can't tell anything about them).

So, same enlarger can use different bulbs, depending of head type you use for that enlarger. That means, you need to see manuals for enlarger you use to know which bulb you need, or, if old bulb is already in enlarger, to buy same kind of bulb (same type or replacement type)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2007
  26. Uncle Goose

Uncle Goose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you have a Meopta then you can always get an Meochrom Colorhead, it saves you the trouble with the filterdrawer and it uses common halogen bulbs. The Meochrom II comes with a densityknob but they seem to be harder to get.