Enlarger focusing issues

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by KPT, Jul 26, 2008.

1. KPT

KPT Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sorry for such a newbie question. I Have an old Omega D enlarger and attempted to make my first print from a 4x5 negative and cant seem to focus the image on 5x7 paper. Is this normal or am i just missing something? I cant seem to focus it on 8x10 paper either! I can only print 1/4 of the negative on 5x7 paper. The bellows move freely and the head is also not restricted but still i cant focus the negative unless im printing larger than 8x10. I have the condenser in top position as the enlarger requires and im using my 135 lens as required. Thank You.

2. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi, make sure you are using a 2.5 inch or taller cone, instead of a flat board.

Jon

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The older D's had fixed condensers in three sizes. Make sure your fixed condenser houses the 6 1/2" lenses.

4. KPT

KPT Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

Jon, Thanky you for your reoly. Im new to this and have no idea what a 2.5 inch cone is or a flat board. This is my first try at large format and with this enlarger.

5. KPT

KPT Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

Rick, Thank you for your reply. I im very sorry but i have no idea what you mean. The enlarger states variable condenser and says to put it in the #1 position-slot and thats where it is now.

6. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi, the concept is: the farther the lens is away from the negative, the closer the image will focus. Therefore there are different mounting cones/boards for the lens to attach to the enlarger. So, is the mounting board that the 135mm lens attached to cone shaped or a flat one?

Jon

7. KPT

KPT Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Everyone, Im very sorry for not having knowledge on this subject and not understanding responces. Here are 2 shots of my enlarger. Also sorry to post digital images of the enlarger but i didnt want to wait to develop a roll and scan it.

Attached Files:

8. KPT

KPT Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

Its flat. When i received the enlarger the person gave my 3 Fuji and Nikkor lenses and told all i have to do is use the 50 for 35mm, 80 for 120 and 135 lens for large format. I guess there was more i needed to know than he told me.

9. galyons

galyons Member

Hi,
    If you need a cone PM me. I'll send you one.
    Cheers,
    Geary

10. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Yes, as you found out, you need the cone for the 135mm, or it won't focus close enough. You can look for a 2.5 inch cone on ebay if you do a search on "omega cone" or something like that. Or put a wtb (wanted to buy) ad here on the apug classifieds.

Jon

11. KPT

KPT Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Everyone! Thank you for your help with my issue!! I understand what you are saying now. If i could stretch the bellows a bit more it would be in foucs so the cone is the issue. THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. RobC

RobC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which make and model lens are you using?

13. KPT

KPT Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

Its Fujinon Ep 135. Im sure its the cheapest one you can get. I received the enlarger, 3 lenses, a beesler enlarger (35mm) and a box of chemicals for free from a Craigslist ad.

14. RobC

RobC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know that lens but 4x5 enlarging lenses are usually 150mm. A 135 is a wide angle which is usually used for bigger than normal enlargments or where you have limited ceiling height in the darkroom. A 135 lens requires less bellows extension than a 150 lens for the same size enlargement. Also most 4x5 enlarging lenses will be past their optimal limit doing a 5x7 as they are optimised for around a 6X enlargement factor with a working range of between 2X and 10X but it really depends on the lens as some are designed for much bigger enlargement and some are designed for duplicating at 1:1 ratio (process lenses).
    When you focus, if you can see the image start to come into focus but it never quite gets there, then it is probably limited bellows extension. But if you can go past the point of best focus without it actually becoming sharp, then it could be the lens.

15. KPT

KPT Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It is limited bellows extention. A fellow Apuger (Gaylons) is sending me a cone for the enlarger. Thanks for your reply!

16. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Fuji EP lens is a top level design (it may be a six element) only surpassed by the Fuji EX, which has multicoating for color printing. DON'T think it is not a quality lens! The 'P' stood for Professional IIRC.

-Fred

17. KPT

KPT Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Fred, Thank you for the info on the lens. I though it was a bad lens due to the fact it was all free. I got 2 free, an 80 and 135 the 50 is a nikkor.

18. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That still may not due. For 5x7s from 4x5 the longest
    cone and lens focal length likely will be needed. Dan