Enlarger Help B+W

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by morrisphotos123, Jun 4, 2012.

1. morrisphotos123

morrisphotos123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was wonderingif anyone might be able to help me I have a Meopta Opemus iii Enlarger. I amusing Ilford Multigrade IV RC Deluxe paper am i meant touse a filter in my enlargerto go with the paper and if yes where would i getone from that would fit the enlarger i have .at the moment my pictures don't seem to come out correctly ever to light or to dark. I do use a Kodak Enlarger scale. Hope you can help

2. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If they're too light or too dark, adjust exposure. Less if they're too dark (on the print), more if they are too light.

You can use a filter to alter the print contrast.

If for example, your highlights are kinda light grey, and shadows just dark grey, you'll probably want to use a higher grade contrast, for white highlights and black shadows.

3. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you have a filter draw, you can use gel filters from Ilford (the same filters will work with any MG or VC paper). If you don't have a filter draw, which I suspect you don't from some of the images I've seen of the Opemus III enlarger, you will have to use an "under lens" filter set - These look very much like the Cokin filters and slide in to a holder that clamps to the front of the enlarging lens.

If you don't want to pay full price for a set of filters, a WTB advert here or trawling ebay would be your best bet. Just watch what you buy on ebay, there are some really poor examples of the Ilford filters being sold. Incomplete sets, mottled & blotchy gels, vintage MGII or MGIII (probably faded beyond use), or overpriced BIN.

4. morrisphotos123

morrisphotos123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    hii

where can i get Ilford below lens Multigrade filter's that will fit a Meopta
    Opemus iii Enlarger

5. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
  6. morrisphotos123

morrisphotos123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  7. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you want to purchase from Firstcall, try: http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/products/880/ilford-multigrade-filter-set-89cm-below-lens - Their product descriptions are pretty poor in places (8.9cm is not equal to 3in), and the descriptions can cause confusion.

8. morrisphotos123

morrisphotos123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Thank you for the reply but how do i make sure it will fit my enlarger

9. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The space bar on your keyboard is broken.

10. morrisphotos123

morrisphotos123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    how do I make a Test Strip to know what exposure/time to do the print at also if anyone has any instructions that would be a big help

Thank you

11. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would recomend getting a copy of this book, any edition...
    http://www.amazon.com/Developing-Printing-Enlarging-Black-White/dp/0879851821 from a used bookseller like amazon, or ABEbooks.com

I covers all the normal procedures.

As far as the "below the lens" multigrade filters, they are attached by a either a ring that fits a typical 39mm enlarging lens mount, or by three screws taht grip the lens, so they are likely to fit almost any enlarger on the planet. the above the lens filters need an enlarger with a "filter drawer". If there is a knob that pulls out above the negative carier on your enlarger you can get a set of the above the lens filters. Your post does not give your location so I is hard to give you a lead to a dealer.

12. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Morrisphotos,

Send me your postal address and I will send you the multigrade printing book free of charge, this should help you get started...it tells you about the basics such as test prints etc, etc.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

13. morrisphotos123

morrisphotos123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    not sure if you can help me as i have bought and received Ilford Multigrade Filter Set, 8.9cm, Below Lens filter set but i cant get it to fit my lens the enlarger i have is a Meopta Opemus 3 and the lens it uses is a Meopta belar 4,5/75 234238

Thank you

14. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you have the full kit? You need the filter holder as well as the filters You seem to be saying that you do. If so the kit is designed to fit any lens. Ilford had to make it that way in order to sell it to the owners of any enlarger.

If you haven't got the rest of the kit then you should have a red safety filter which swings into and out of the path of the lens. Take the red filter out of its holder then place the filters on the holder including the Ilford red safety filter which should be part of the kit or if there isn't an Ilford red safety filter then simply lay the red safety filter you have taken out back on top of its holder when you need to place paper safely under the lens

I hope this helps

pentaxuser

15. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Unless I'm mistaken, the 8.9cm filters are just sheets of gels. The "under lens" kit consists of a set of gels 52mm diameter mounted in plastic frames 63mm square (dimensions approximate). See attached image. Left side is the 8.9cm gels, right side is the under-lens kit.

Attached Files:

16. morrisphotos123

morrisphotos123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In the Darkroom what I am doing is mixing up the chemical baths and getting them to 20C then I put the neg in the enlarger and shine it down on to my board so I can focus it ok. then I put the red safe light on in the room with the safe light filter over the enlarger. Then I line up a pace of cut paper to develop to then I set my Philips ]Enlarger Timer PDC1010[/B][/B] to the correct seconds then move the red safe filter out the way and insert grade 2 and do a test strip like you i have read on here and in books . I then develop it and hope something comes out

17. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that's a generous offer to the OP.

selfishly, I wonder if that is available as a pdf download ?

18. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Pdeeh,

No its not, but if you pm your postal address I will send you one.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :