Enlarger lenses

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Photocyan, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Photocyan

Photocyan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Everyone. Question: I am just setting up for enlarging 6x7 negatives. I only have a 50mm f2.8 enlarger lens. I read I should get a 90mm for the 6x7 format but was wondering if a little bigger would it be better? Dave.

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Dave:

I have three lenses I use for 6x7:

1) an 80mm Componon (EDIT: actually a Rodagon) that performs well with the format (some 80mm lenses don't have enough coverage). I use it when I need a fairly large enlargement;
    2) a 90mm Beseler Color Pro - a re-badged 6 element lens that performs well; and
    3) a 105mm Rodagon that works well when I'm printing relatively small (8x10 or smaller).

I can make fairly large prints (11x14) with the 105mm lens due to the length of the column on my enlarger, but prefer to switch lenses.

The 80mm and 105mm lenses are on the same turret, so they tend to get used the most.

This 3 year old thread includes some useful information - and you can track how my usage has evolved too :smile:: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/59348-enlarger-lens-6x7-negative.html

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  3. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A little larger wouldn't hurt - I just got a 105mm for my 6x9 format negatives.

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My favorite 6x9 lens is a Wollensak 90mm that was designed for that format. It's slightly wide effect allows for some good sized enlargments without having to go off the base of the machine.

5. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the 90mm Wollensak, I have a 80mm and 105, although slower than my 80 the 90 is great match for 6X9 and at F 8 or 11 very sharp. I enlarge up to 16X29 on my D 3 without shooting to the floor.

6. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    90mm is great for 6x7 format.

7. Photocyan

Photocyan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone.

8. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    80mm is long enough for 6x7; a recent Rodagon or Componon would be great; an APO-Rodagon or Componon-S would be better. Do not buy a Rogonar or Componar. Make sure the condensers in your enlarger (if condensers there be) are set correctly for the film size, otherwise you can get pale/underexposed corners on your print.

Given that 80mm should cover 6x7, a 90mm will be fine too but you will need to raise your enlarger 12% higher to get the same enlargement, which limits your print size slightly compared to an 80mm.

9. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use the wonderful focotar-2 100mm for my xpan negatives. Even today, after thousands of prints (of which about 500 16x20), I am still amazed at what I am seeing. The far corners are sharp!!

Ypucan expect to pay 800-1200$ for one but if ypu value your work and all the time you put into printing, 1000$ is peanuts.

Just now i have 28 16x20 prints washing, all xpans. I can't thank enough Leica (apparently a schneider lens, though) for this lens.

10. Photocyan

Photocyan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well I just bought a Wollensak 90mm f/4.5 Raptar enlarging lens. I hope it is like new as they said. I will let you know how I like it.