Enlarger Recomendations

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by nhemann, Feb 25, 2011.

1. nhemann

nhemann Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello all,
    I'm trying to finally get a proper dark room and have been trawling the resale world -i.e ebay - for something nice. I would really appreciate some helpfull advice on what I might want. The things I am thinking I want as features are 1) the ability to go up to at least 6x6 - if 4x5 is possible in the same machine (for the future) that might be nice. 2) I've always done, B&W work before but if it has a color head, does that prevent me from BW work.

There is a Durst 605 on ebay right now for a few hrs that I was eyeing, but again, I'm so new to this particular type of equipment I cant shop with confidence - what do you think http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200578003194&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT it comes with a lot of other gear as well, so you have to promise not to steal it from me now :wink:. In any case thanks for the help, I'm not dying to purchase today of course but need to get informed on all this.
    Thanks

2. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I would think you would be better off shopping on Craig's list in NJ. There is usually someone trying to clear out a room in their house and ready to practically give the stuff away. Shopping on ebay you are probably going to be looking at a lot of shipping fee.
    Durst is a good brand though to my knowledge they are kind of bulky.
    Omega makes a good 4x5 enlarger and there are 17 million of them in the world.
    Beseler is my enlarger of choice, a 4x5 enlarger that is rock steady and is motorized and there are 17 million of them in world looking for homes too. I have a spare under the stairs in the basement.. though I am no where near NJ.
    Dennis

3. carlosmccosta

carlosmccosta Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a Durst M670 Color and it works great.
    I don't know nothing about the lens provided.
    To do MF you will need a 80mm lens, a mask for each format and a AN glass to put on the top of the negative.
    The M670 requires a wider mixing box. The M605 may also need one.
    Durst spares are more and more difficult to find.

4. carlosmccosta

carlosmccosta Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Almost forget to say that the enlarger needs a 12V power source (Transformer: Tra 305N; or Stabilizer: Sta 305N) that is not mentioned.
    The Sta 305N is much better.
    If the transformer is not provided you will need to hack (it is not difficult any way) because it will be very difficult to find an original one.

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of enlargers on sale in the classifieds here. My prices include shipping. First up is a Beseler 23ccomplete with condenser set up and the dichroic head and all necessary power supplies. Also have an Omega Super Dichro 67XL complete set up.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some pointers:
    In the USA consider Beseler and Omega, they are quite common and parts are easy to find and prices are low.
    All 4x5 enlargers I can think of are high-end models and you can't go wrong with any of them (unless an individual enlarger is messed up).

7. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hit your local camera club and find the codger holding the D-whatever who has fix-stained-nails. :wink:

8. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The color head will let you do variable contrast B&W easily. I'd rather dial in a contrast than deal with keeping filter sets clean.

If it's a 4x5 enlarger it will not be something most casual sellers want to ship, so craigslist might be better than ebay.

9. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If your looking for a 4X5 Beseler 45mx Omega D2,Dll or D5 are the most recent models. And that goes back a looong time. These are 4X5 and smaller enlargers

Beseler 23C, Cll and Clll are all 6X9CM and smaller. Biggest difference is color.C=Gray,Cll=Blue and Clll=Black the condensers and carriers fit 'em all

Don't remember the Omega lineup but they had some good 6X7's & 6X6's around. I don't recall anything in the 6X9 range, think you would have to go 4X5

10. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both Omega D-2 and D-II here. These will do up to 4x5. They are built very well and parts are plentiful. For 50 dollars or less, you should be able to find one with all necessary parts. Everybody who sees my pair are surprised to find out these are more than half centuries old!

11. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would stay away from anything that is advertised as having a cold light source. The uncertainty about future bulb availability makes that a bad choice. I would go for something with a dichro head that is in good shape. if that is not available go for an Omega DII or D2. As tkamiya pointed out parts are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

12. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've said this before in response to enlarger buying questions. Good deals are plentiful if you just look around for a while. I bought a Beseler 45MCRX, which is an older model, with all of the negative carriers and lenses for less than $200. Despite it's age it looks almost new and works flawlessly.