Enlarger table design...

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by ChristopherCoy, Apr 12, 2013.

1. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I need help with designs for an enlarger table.

I have a single post Beseler 67C, and I can enlarge up to 11x14 on the baseboard. I'd like some sort of stand/table combo where I can move the table down a few inches for 16x20's.

And below all of that I'd like some sort of shelf to keep all of my filters and easels etc.

Have any of you ever built anything like this, and/or have any photos I can draw ideas from? It seems like I've seen plans somewhere but can't remember where, and a search brings up infinite non-related conversations about enlargers,

Thanks!

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The usual cheapest option is to build a bracket to attach the enlarger to the wall.

Then the baseboard can be set on a bracket arrangement, to allow it to be lowered to a further distance from the lens when big prints are needed. Wall mount also allows the top of the post to be braced to the wall in a couple of directions to aid in alignment and stability of the head, which counts extra for when making larger enlargements.

3. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  4. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I built a simple unit at one time out of 3/4 in MDF. It was a simple three sided (open front) cabinet with an adjustable shelf, then mounted my enlarger to the wall. I now have a system that utilizes a counterweighted table that moves in a wall mounted unit on bearings that is infinitely variable. I made it from a salvaged chest x-ray unit.

5. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When I built my new darkroom last year I wanted the ability to drop the baseboard for larger prints. What I did was to build cabinets on either side of where I wanted to mount the enlarger (on the concrete wall), leaving enough space between them for my vacuum easel with an inch or so on either side. Then it was a relatively simple matter to attach rails on the cabinet sides into which the baseboard could slide. I also devised adjusting bolts at each corner to perfectly align the baseboard to the enlarger. The top rails are at countertop height and accomodate 8x10 and 11x14 prints easily, and even 16x20 if they are at full frame. Any cropping to 16x20's requires moving the baseboard down to the next lower rails. There is a third set of rails for 20x24 prints though I don't plan to print that large.

Below all of this are some shelves for paper storage.

6. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beseler actually made a wall mount bracket specifically for the 67C - it has holes in it that match the bolts in the girder.

I got mine from eBay - it is in storage at the moment or I would photograph and measure it for you.

8. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thaaaats interesting. Any idea what the part number is or model number?

I'm thinking about getting a 67S or 67S2 Dichro head instead of the condenser head.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought my 67C new in or about 1976 and I still have the manual, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it too is in storage.

I bought a couple of different Dichro heads a couple of years ago, and once I got the right combination of head and power supply, I really enjoyed using it. If I had the room, it would be set up beside the Omega D6 that I am currently using. I'm keeping it stored in the hope that I get the chance at a bigger, permanent darkroom.

If I come across the model number, I'll send it to you.

10. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I made one similar and it worked well. I used a pair of metal channel bench legs sold by hardware stores years ago. Then I added 2x4 on the top to mount my old Beseler 4x5 (the one with the struts out front) with screws. Then a piece of 1/2" plywood for a back. Another piece of plywood on the lower cross braces for a shelf.

Then, in doing very large enlargements, I would just move the Beseler wood base to the lower shelf and gain about 18 inches in height. I could gain another 6 inches if I put the board on the floor but never needed to do that. It worked extremely well.

I still have the parts, just don't have it set up so I cannot snap a picture. Hope my description makes sense.

12. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Christopher,

If all you really need is to jack up the enlarger a few inches, making a spacer for the bottom of the column(s) is a smaller project and more likely to get done quickly. Of course it will not give you the flexibility of a nice table as mentioned above.

Neal Wydra