Enlargers at Auction (US)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by TA-Reiland, Oct 15, 2009.

1. TA-Reiland

TA-Reiland Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For those of you in or near the southwest Virginia area of the US, looking for an enlarger: Saturday, the 24th of October - there are several photo enlargers in the next university auction in Blacksburg. The auction list is here:
    http://www.purch.vt.edu/Surplus/auction102409.pdf

They are items 282 - 285 on page 8 of the list. These usually go very inexpensively. Last year I picked up a clean, usable Omega D5 with lenses and negative carriers for $30. As with all auctions, the quality of items can vary greatly, as can sale prices. Caveat emptor - educate yourself and know about what you'll be bidding for!

I have no connection to the university or the auction - just posting this for those of you who may be interested. Lots of other stuff in the auction, too, for you junk junkies.

TR

2. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These may be from a student lab, but you may have one of the two D5's that I used to print 2,000 custom B&W prints a month with back in the late 80's for the Va Tech "media center".

Lee

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess this post would better be placed in the New England section.

4. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Southwest Virginia is definitely not in New England. If Bonn were Blacksburg, VA, Lithuania and Latvia would be New England. Mid-Atlantic is a bit nearer the mark.

Lee

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2009
  5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I looked up what section could fit. I was sure that it was not New-England. But for some reason looked up New-England in an encyclopedia and the first thing I came across was Virginia.

Blame me on negligently reading encyclopedias.
    Blame TR for putting this in the general section so that an European may struggle in US geography...

6. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll blame Karl May's books. His fictional western U.S. characters made three day horseback trips from Montana to Louisiana, 2200 km or so, forever distorting Germans' perception of distances in the US. I'm assuming, of course, that Germans are pretty well aware that horses don't carry riders cross country that fast, otherwise they might have a distorted view of how fast a loaded horse can travel. :smile:

U.S. regional names are also distorted by the time frames during which names were bestowed. Ohio is still the 'midwest' and Minnesota was considered the 'northwest', and that usage has stuck to a great degree, even after the country expanded well past those names making descriptive sense. No one looking at a current map would bestow those terms on those areas.

Lee

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Growing up in the "Midwest" as a kid I always thought the rest of the nation was just distorted on the map to make it look bigger (like the mercator projection of Greenland) and somehow we really were in the middle of the nation :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2009