Enlarger's Bulb

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by ofsouto, Apr 4, 2008.

1. ofsouto

ofsouto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello

I bought an Omega D-2V XL enlarger without bulb.
    It's very hard to get the original GE bulb 75W on Brazil and I would like to know if it is possible to use a 60W or a 100W
    bulb instead. What's better?

Thank you very much.

Obede
    Brazil

2. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

3. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that ordinary household bulbs can work, but they tend to vary from one bulb to another in how even their illumination is. Thus, you might want to run tests with two or three bulbs to find the one that provides the most even illumination.

4. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You even have to examine the proper bulbs as well, I have a 212 with a thin spot in the coating on one side, It makes nice dark fuzzy lines on the print. :sad: Rotating the bulb socket half a turn fixed the problem.

5. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format

I'm pretty sure that the D2-V normally uses the PH-211 75W bulb. The 212 would be really hot in that little light house...and give really short exposure times.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are three differences between a household incandescant bulb and the enlarger version:

-) the opalizing of the bulb
    -) the omission of the signing on top of the bulb
    -) the fact that enlarger bulbs filaments are designed for a lower voltage, which makes them burn at a higher temperature when switched to household current. This is intented by the manufacturer as it yields not only more radiation in general but a higher percentage of blue light which in addition will boost its photolytic activity. Of course the life-time of such a bulb will be much lower.

7. haris

haris Guest

At www.fotoimpex.de you have bulbs by price of 9 EURO. They have 75w and 150w bulbs. So, order 10-15 pieces and you are good for rest of your life, and also buying more bulbs will make importing and transporting costs justified :smile:

8. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Acetone will remove the stamp on household bulbs.

Proper enlarging bulbs are better as they fit with the proper length and diameter and the coating is more even and thicker.

Adorama, B&H in New York ship internationally. So will Calumet Photo. Order all supplies and make one shipment.

The enlarger is made for 75 watt. 150 makes too much heat. a 150 and voltage reducer is a nice set up as the bulbs will last nearly forever. The reducer will solve the heat problem.

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Furthermore they are used voltage-overrated.