Enlarging color negatives on b&w paper?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by jesterthejedi, May 7, 2012.

1. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Was wondering if there are some good tips to print my color negatives on black & white paper? I have tons of negatives that would be awesome in black & white. They seem to come out somewhat gray by default.

Thanks

2. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The color negative base messes with variable contrast paper. The tone will never really be correct.

You can try playing with the color filters, use graded paper, or try and dupe them into positives and then onto b&w neg stock.

Though I have never used it, in the past there was special papers for use just for this application to turn color negs into correct toned b&w images. It is not sold or made anymore.

3. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At first the few attempts were very light. What filtration would you recommend? I have both multi graded and standard paper too.

4. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've actually had a fair bit of luck doing this but don't really have a system.

VC paper responds to changes in the filter pack just as it does with a B&W negative; add magenta for more contrast, add yellow for less. I'd suggest making big changes like +100 from normal at first to se if your going the right way.

5. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    As has been said to get a correct tonal response you need to print on a panchromatic type of paper, which is a bit of a pain (no safelight). However, by using a high magenta value on multigrade paper you will get some reasonable results.

6. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The paper was Kodak's Panalure. The original wasn't that great, and even the H contrast (Hard) was a bit soft. The later version, Panalure Select RC, was actually quite good and the S, M, H grades seemed accurate. I liked it and have a few prints on it that I still like. I wish someone would make such a paper again. It's just a black and white paper that's panchromatic. It has to be handled in either complete darkness or under a dim safelight made for color paper. I used it with my Duka 50 sodium safelight set for RA4 paper and never had a problem with that.

Not just the base but the fact there are different colors in the image messes with VC paper, meaning different parts of the image can print with different contrasts. It also tends to come out looking oddly grainy, probably because of the lack of red sensitivity - any dye clouds too red just don't register at all leaving large "holes" that look like grain. Graded paper is even worse since its sensitivity is even more limited.

Hey Simon - could Ilford make a good panchromatic paper for this, please? :wink:

Probably the best way to do this and get good tonality might be to print onto film and reversal process for a negative, then print that. You could reversal process black and white or, heck, just use E6 if some filter experimentation could eliminate any color cast. A slight cast wouldn't hurt much, as long as it wasn't too red.

7. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    My students do this all the time, and it takes a bit of experience and practice but nice images can be made. You need to increase the time and filter grade

Think grade 4 filter and test for times.

8. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had some success using Ilford MGIV. As has been mentioned, pump up the contrast a bit. This one was done with a #4 filter. In this case, since I was printing for hand painting, exact tonal response wasn't too important.

tshirtshop-red.jpg

9. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Oooh.... I have an unopened pack of the Panalure II RC M. Absolutely no idea how old it is or how well it has been stored. Wonder how well it keeps and if it is still any good...

10. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you need to print them at maximum contrast!

11. Arkasha

Arkasha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  12. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're shooting sheet film you could contact to Ilford Direct Positive, and in turn contact it to regular silver gelatin of your choice.

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Ilford direct positive paper is orthochromatic. Seems like you would not gain much from that technique.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're right. Anything red in the neg would not register on the paper, meaning green in the original scene would print as black or very dark.
    Panchromatic materials are required.

16. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's the prior Panalure Select, not the Select II. That means it's older and less likely to be in good shape. I thought the II worked quite well, but heard mixed reports about the prior version.

17. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
  18. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Dear jesterthejedi,

I've never tried it, but I read somewhere that lith printing works well with color negatives. Based on Ralph's response it could be because it is fairly easy to get a high contrast that way.

Neal Wydra

19. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another vote for making the Ilford panchromatic material available in cut sheets. I had no idea such a product existed any longer, but I have many color negatives I'd like to print in black and white, and I would give it a try (but buying a 20"x100' roll is out of the question). In the last two photo classes I've taken, there were a number of other students also trying to do print color negs on VC papers.

20. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dropped Simon a PM to see if Ilford has any interest in this.

21. paulie

paulie Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    my advice is you will be dissapointed, the exposure times wil be long and contrast low, on the upside the grain is very fine

22. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sure never saw "very fine" grain when I tried printing C-41 negs on VC paper. The lack of red sensitivity resulted in big gaps that gave the effect of very coarse grain. It's a false effect as C41 is generally very fine grained stuff.

Granted this was back in the 90s. Printed on Panalure those negs looked great, on VC they looked like crap. Maybe it was just my negatives.

23. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the Harman Digital fiber paper has a different sensitivity, designed to be exposed with very strong light sources. I hope I'm wrong.

24. Michael R 1974

Michael R 1974 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Roger, stop distracting Simon. If they get sidetracked on Pan paper I'll never get Delta 50! :smile:

25. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The Harmon paper is basically a grade 3 gallerie emulsion with an red sensitivity to be sensitive to RGB lasers.
    Agfa Classic or the Adox version was initially the only paper we found that would work with the lasers, then Harmon repurposed the Gallerie paper and its the version we use since Agfa went out of business and Mirko has not been able to offer a roll version in footage worth purchasing..
    The RC version I believe is an adaptation of the Ilford mg4 with red sensitivity added.

I think its a matter of changing the emulsions to accept laser light , not really an issue of needing very strong light sources.

26. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for clarifying. I thought it had something to do with laser light.

Does the added red sensitivity make the paper panchromatic? And, in your opinion, would it be suitable for using C-41 color material to make prints using standard transmission light in a standard enlarger?