Enlarging lens for 35mm + 5"x7"

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by butterflydream, Nov 13, 2006.

1. butterflydream

butterflydream Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have problem with printing 5 x 7 size with my focotar 40mm lens, because the distance from lens to paper is too short. When I open the easel mask I hit the lens.

So I want to purchase longer focal lenth lens, but I can't see what is right length. I know my Focomat V35 will no longer auto focus, but that is OK.

Would 80mm too long? (I can borrow one infinitely from a friend who doesn't use it.)

I have seen 60mm Schneider or Rodenstock lens, will these be fine in terms of distance? Especially, the cheaper Rogonar-S will be fine for 5x7? (for distance and quality).

TIA,
    Ernie

2. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use an 80mm Rodenstock Rodagon to enlarge 35mm all the time on a Saunders 4500. It gives me more room under the lens to dodge and burn. I dont know if it will focus with the V35. Borrow one and try it.

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How long are your bellows? You could do the math to see if you have enough bellows to focus a longer lens at that magnification.

4. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used a 52mm Wallensack for years, a few weeks ago a found a 60 mm Schneider at a local camera shop, I now use it for all of my 35 mm up to
    11X14, excellent lens and will work with 6X6 as well although I will most likely use the 60mm for working prints and will use my 105 most for final prints from 6X6.

5. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Certainly borrow the 80mm for a trial. Practical testing is better than theoretical predictions. In some enlargers the condensers are set up for a particular length of lens. This may affect the performance of the 80mm. Most enlarging lenses suffice for 5 x 7 prints. If the 80mm gives even illumination, but inadequate sharpness, you can shop for a top quality 75 or 80mm lens.

6. butterflydream

butterflydream Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Focomat v35 doesn't have bellows. It focuses with helicoid, thus the adjustable distance may be rather short...

But I can try it in a few days.

Thanks for replies!

7. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used 39mm extension tubes to accomodate different enlarging lenses on some enlargers.

8. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The V35 will accomodate a 50mm lens. I do not know about a 60mm lens.