Enlarging lens with flared end -- how do I attach it?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by cinefane, Sep 7, 2009.

1. cinefane

cinefane Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an enlarger lens that, instead of being threaded, has a flared end. How do I go about attaching this to my enlarger?

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With difficulty.

It must have fitted a special board or turret that the flange locked into. What lens is it ? Post an image.

Ian

3. cinefane

cinefane Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had to stick it under the scanner as I couldn't find my digital camera.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you sure the thing does not come apart?
    It looks like the lens might be mounted to a Durst Lens Cone.
    If it does not come apart in the middle look down the inside from the rear of the lens and see if there is retaing ring holding the lens to the cone.

5. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    This looks like a durst cone as suggested, and the lens should come away from the adaptor which is the ring that is inserted into a flange with a screw thread to hold onto the enlager.

6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It certainly does seperate from the mounting cone. It may be that all you need to do is apply a SMALL amount of penetrating oil, and carefully unscrew the lens. Be extra careful not to get too much oil on the lens, then clean up afterward. A strap wrench could be beneficial here.
    Good luck
    Rick

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had quite a few Durst selected Componon's and sometimes there's a small grub screw holding the mount to the lens. Often the lenses were factory fitted to the flange or adaptor and where usually supplied fitted to roll head printers turrets etc

My Componon S 150mm is similar but in a long screw thread mount, I assumed it was like yours but once I loosened the screw it came apart easily. Don't try a wrench etc as if there is a screw and it's not released you'll damage the mounting threads, and only try penetrating oil as a very last resort.

The Dust select lenses are similar to the Linhof & Sinar select Schneider camera lenses and were optically tested before being accepted and badged by Durst, it's an excellent lens.

Someone will buy the mount if you dont need it.

Ian

8. cinefane

cinefane Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There's a hole but -- as far as I can see -- no screw. Tried unscrewing the mount by hand -- won't budge. Will investigate later.

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's as it should be, there is supposed to be a small grub screw it's quite deep inside, unscrew that and the two parts undo.

Ian

10. cinefane

cinefane Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks like it's suffered at the hands of a previous owner. I got a good look at the grub in direct sunlight. Its head has been worn away. Short of drilling the grub out, I'm stuck.

11. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have, or get, a small left-hand drill bit, the job may be easier than you think. The left-hand bit will tend to unscrew the grub screw enough for you to unscrew the adapter.

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use an easy-out. It has a conical head with left hand threads.

Steve

13. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No ! Please, please do not use easy-outs for they are the spawn of Satan - When you break one, you have to pay an exorbitant amount to get someone to spark erode the remains out - I've wasted more than enough time dealing with the aftermath of these damned things.

Most likely it is no more than an M3 screw, so carefully drill the whole thing out.

14. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Then I do not want you around when I work on one of my cars or my motorcycle!

15. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With an easy-out that small you really don't stand a chance of getting it out. Just take it to a machine shop or your nearest mechanics shop. I am sure they can help out out better than doing it yourself. I know because I was a Machinist in my working days. You may f**/ it up REAL good. Leave the delicate work to the proffesionals.

16. pschauss

pschauss Member

Agreed. I learned that the hard way trying to remove a broken exhaust manifold stud on my MG. Now whenever I find something like that that I cannot remove I take it straight to the machine shop.

17. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Been there done that a few times and once that large muffler place did it for me but left me with a manifold with only 2 out of 6 studs.