Ensign "Popular Reflex" Repair

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by southman81, Dec 7, 2009.

1. southman81

southman81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello everyone.
    A few months ago I bought this fabulous "ENSIGN Popular Reflex" (1920?):confused:
    It is in excellent cosmetic shape, but inside it has some problems.
    A curtain is missing, but in general appears to have a future.
    The rollers have tension if I roll up.
    But the problem is I can not deduct how the curtains sewn each other whit the cloth tape, and how long the tape should be…
    I'm not a camera repairman, I'm just an amateur with a nice camera that I would like to work ... I had success repairing a “Reflex Korelle”, and I thought, why not with the old ensign. (Should be easier, but in the korelle there was no missing parts)
    So any help is welcome, drawings, diagrams, sketches, anything!
    Best Regards.
    Luciano from Argentina.

PD: I Upload some images to those who wants to help :smile:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      58.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      64 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      63.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

Somewhere I've posted a link to repairing shutters like this. My laptop died 2 weeks ago and I'm not straight yet but I have saved not only the links but the pages as well (from a partial PDF - not savable/downloadable).

It's relatively easy to make a new curtain there's patterns in the book, not sure if it covers the Houghton sgutters, it should.

These shutters work in two ways:

1. A single curtain made up of a number of slits, you wind the right bit into position. Graflex's etc

2. A pair of curtains so more complex. Moving seperately like modern cloth SLR shutters.

It could be yours is the first and has just come unglued/sewn. I've rebuilt a Graflex and also a Thrnton Pickard shutter neither was difficult. I'll see what I can find tomorrow, it's late here now :D

Ian

3. southman81

southman81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Ian!!!
    Great news, but this one have 2 curtains, the first (the missing one) it´s no missing, i have it, but super dry and cracky, so i have to replace this one, i´ll try to male my own curtain... for this also you can help me =)
    But the point is, this camera has 2 curtains. =(
    Thanks again!!

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok,the book says how to make new curtains. I'll look tomorrow, you can read all you need online for shutter repairs of this type, and if you have the old curtain that acts as your pattern. I can't remember the Author or I'd find the link easily :D

My Thornton Pickard shutter was dry andvery cracked and dead so I used Methylated spirits to remove the old shellac or whatever it was coated with then ironed the curtains flat before using dilute Black PVA fabric paint to re-lightproof the curtain, it's very flexible, I did the same for my Speed Graphic which had a lot of pin-holes.

Ian

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Luciano, i've found the link, unfortunately the part on shutters is no-longer available online.

Send me your email address and I'll let you have a copy of the relevant section as soon as I find the images.

This link is useful, I found it after I'd repaired both my shutters.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
  6. southman81

southman81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Ian!
    Thanks a lot for your help!!
    The good news is that maybe you are right with the shutter, maybe it is a Thornton Pickard Shutter, i don´t know.. it does have 3 rollers, so not very sure.
    The bad news, is that the one curtain left, is so dry and cracky that i need to replace this one too. Still looking for some sort of fabric replacement.
    I send you a private massage with my email.
    Best Regards!!

7. Guppstah

Guppstah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, I know this post is very old, but did you sort out your shutter?

G

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since the thread started I've ben making shutter curtains for cameras like this, in fact I have two Ensigns (one rebadged as a Dallmeyer Press) waiting for repair.

Ian

9. southman81

southman81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Ian!
    Yes! the camera works! I finally can repair it!
    Is not so hard, the secret for mi camera is that the two curtains move under the same tape, and when you set the exposure what your doing is to make a gap between the two curtains. Different speeds = differents gaps.
    Send me your email and i will send you a video of how its works, my bad english is not so good for explications!
    Best regards!

10. southman81

southman81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You have to set the exposure BEFORE you wind the camera

11. Guppstah

Guppstah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The reason I asked is I am currently repairing my own shutter on the same camera.
    the difference with mine is that I have both curtains but the tapes have broken.
    i have found as close as I can get to the tapes to replace them and will be gluing, sewing, praying very soon.

the major task I had yesterday was removing the bottom of the camera box to get at the rollers.

i really want to take a picture with this camera. I plan to cut down some 5x4 film to fit it.

when it's rebuilt that is.

still a way off yet.

G

12. Guppstah

Guppstah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How do you get the tension correct on the tape roller please?

13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What format is your Ensign. I have film & plate holders for mine which is Quarter plate although it came with a Rollex 6x9 back, I also found a box of new quarter plate film sheaths plus two more and 4 conversion film sheaths in a 9x12 box. Film is available on the Ilford ULF run and also from Wephoto (much cheaper).

Ian

14. Guppstah

Guppstah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine is a quarter plate.

I have a plate holder, the next problem will be getting film of some description sorted out.

if I can sort these tapes out.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
  15. kamphotog

kamphotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Repair info for Houghton Reflex

Hi,

I know it is an old thread...

I successfully repaired a couple of Houghton Ensign reflex 3x4 cameras (replacing shutter curtains with new fabric). I did that all by myself (not much info on these cameras/shutter types on the web).
    The repairs took me months, with lots of thinking between actions...
    And now I 'd like to repair a Houghton Model B Ensign Reflex 2x3 (I bought it for the lens (Goerz Celor 180mm f4.8)).

The tension adjustment of the rollers is always my nightmare. So many tries... If someone has a procedure, I'd be most grateful...
    (the links in the former posts are dead)

Also, I noticed differences between the 3 cameras :
    On one camera, the bottom curtain roller had the fabric simply wrapped one way around and glued. On the 2 others, the glued part of the fabric was split (vertically) into 5 bands and those bands were wrapped alternatively (CW/CCW) around the roller. I suppose the 2nd option was to secure more strongly the fabric on the roller.
    One one camera, the bottom curtain was wider and was placed underneath the ribbons. On the others, the bottom curtain was between the ribbons.

I also repaired a Butcher Popular Pressman (3x4 reflex) but the shutter is different (fixed size slits, like on a Speed Graphic).

I upgraded all 3x4 to 4x5, as it is easier to find film. The result is a 4x4.5 negative... :smile:

Thanks in advance,
    Kam

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    kamphotog welcome to APUG