ENTROPY

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by jnanian, Nov 3, 2013.

1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    does anyone (else) allow entropy into their photo making technique?

if so, what do you do, what are you against doing and what does it do for your work?

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What do you mean by that? No definition of entropy used over here seems to fit. Or... I'm lacking imagination again.

3. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I didn't learn much from the thermodynamics portions of my physics courses, but one thing I did catch is that entropy is not optional!

-NT

4. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, I'm not sure this is what you mean but I think solargraphs are more like "finding" a picture than "making" one. They reflect all the day to day variation and a stretch of time that will never happen again, ever. Plus temperature/humidity/clouds/fogginess/curl/shadows/wind/hail/rain/snow and a big dollop of luck. Like opening a present that you have no idea what it will be.

( I've got an album with some solargraphs at the link in my "signature" below, but these are very shhhhh hybrid, so we won't talk about them here. )

5. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I keep an aging photo of myself in a darkened closet (i.e., color, of course :tongue:). Kind of the Dorian Grey reverse of archival qualities.

6. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you mean entropy, as in, allowing for happy accidents, then yes.

I experiment and take notes and when I find what I like, i keep thos notes as my method for later. And later, if I do something wrong (inevitable, just ask my girlfriend), then I make a note of how I did it.

7. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you cringe, knowing not only that the subject of the photograph will always be younger than you, but the photograph will as well? (I keep images of myself to a minimum, while supplying others with future proof of their decline.) :wink:

Time is intolerant of
    The brave and innocent.
    And indifferent in a week
    To a beautiful physique.

-W.H. Auden

8. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not a very common word, but I remember from uni that it has something to do with a decline into disorderliness and derangement of predictability. Neither nor both are desirable in my work where there is a structured approach and the element of surprise that often makes a shoot so memorable (and often, memorable for all the wrong reasons). Entropy is also an active clinical characteristic in people with Alzheimers. This should be interesting. Sorry, what was the question??

9. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John: Get a woman half your age. It may not prevent entropy with your photography. But, then, you may not care.

10. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Alan, haha!

I'm very precise with my dev mixtures, and temperature, but every now and then I'm thinking of a photograph, and end up developing shorter or longer than I had planned because I feel like that one photograph that was my favorite, might come out better, but it's more a feeling than planned, however I always notate what the time was of course :wink:

11. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think I will experience lots of enthropy with my 8mm photographs.

12. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi Agx
    sorry for being vague ...
    i mean the exact opposite of obsessive-exactitude ( if that is a word? ) ..

love those entropic solargraphs ned :smile:
    john

13. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, I don't think entropy was a good word for this. Colloquially people tend to use the word entropy to signify any tendency toward disorder or randomness, so originally I assumed you were asking about leaving things to complete chance without a pre-defined image or result in mind - eg: point the camera anywhere without viewing, leave the shutter open for two days and "see what happens", or on the technical side - dump some coffee into spent A130 :wink: and "see what happens". That sort of thing. But I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I tease john a lot because many of his abstracts look just like your description hehe

However I know John is a very skilled manipulator of image and light.

16. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi michael

i wouldn't say 2 days and see what happens mainly because i am too impatient :wink: but yes, exactly ..

thanks stone!
    john

17. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think stabilised photogenic drawings may come under this heading, as would Anthotypes.

18. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You want entropy, photograph children.

19. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't go quite that far, but I do freely admit that for all my careful planning, framing, and exposure measurement, many of my best photographs have ended up being nothing like my "visualization" at the time the shutter fired. Happy accidents is probably a good term. Add to the "accidents" the deliberate manipulations that occur once in the darkroom, and there ya are ... :smile:

20. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    'Serendipity' springs to mind.

21. John Earley

John Earley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Entropy: Sending your film to a less than stellar lab and getting back someone elses photos.

22. dasBlute

dasBlute Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I need some more entropy in my approach , I seem way too obsessive about sharpness and perfect negs...

23. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Entropy is defined as a measure of the disorder (randomness) of a system. As such it is a very basic concept which is not confined to only thermodynamic systems. Consider a jar filled with equal numbers of black and white marbles. The black marbles are at the bottom of the jar. Shake the jar and we increase the entropy since some white marbles are now where blacks were and vice versa. The order of the system has been changed.

Using statistical mechanics equations representing the three laws of thermodynamics can be derived using only pure mathematics without any reference to physical reality.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
  24. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Entropy:what your darkroom looks like after various members of your family have dumped all their junk in there!:cry::w00t::crazy:

25. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, not in a closed system anyway. Without entropy, energy couldn't be utilised, photographic processes wouldn't work, and time would have no direction.
    That said, I allow as little chaos (disorder, what I think you meant by entropy) into my work as possible.

26. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Except that seems more like enthalpy, because it grows, and grows, and grows :smile:.

I prefer to think about it as the end of day result of a day that began with lots of plans and intentions.