Entry level camera

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jaimeb82, Sep 8, 2009.

1. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I kind of like the portability of the view cameras rather than the rail ones. That being said, what are the options for an entry level camera between $400 and $600? (second hand) Wista, Yoko View 45A seems to be around there, ( a bit higher than that I think) but what could be other brands entry level models? I currently own a speed graphic, but it doesn't have frontal and rear movements.

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi

a new shen hao runs for about 650-675
    from all accounts they are a very nice camera ...
    a used one would not be nearly as expensive as a new one ...
    on eBlip the completed actions show they run between 400-550$

good luck!
    john

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you mean a field camera and not a view. A monorail is a view camera.

Even less then your budget would be the Agfa/Anscos. Heavy.

4. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes, I couldn't remember at the time of the post. I am more towards the flat bed, field camera than the monorail. I like monorails and they seem to go for cheaper but seem hard to carry around.

Very few Shen-Hao in the second hand market so far, found new ones for $650 but that's a bit to high without a lens for me.

5. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you want a field wield with more or less mono rail movement the Shen Hao HZX45-IIA should be the camera for uou.
    Just be patient and keep looking for a used one or save for a new one.
    In the mean time you could be looking for a used 150mm Tessar or so.......

Peter

6. singram

singram Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Tachihara 4x5. It is a very robust and light weight camera, and fun to shoot with. I too upgraded from a Graphic camera for all of your same reasons. I purchased mine new about 10 years ago for about $600. They are now in the $700 range, but a used one should be sought for a bit less.

You can use your lens from the Graphic camera as well, so you won't need to spend the extra $$ on optics for now. Just ask for the correct size board when ordering your camera.

Oh, I went through the trial and error process with older view cameras to save money. I tried an Agfa- wow way too heavy to backpack. A Seneca and a Korona wood field camera were also put through the paces. Less movements, and the 100+ years of use made these cameras (in my price range) not rigid enough for me.

steve

7. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I love my Tachihara. Highly recommend it. Only drawback is that the bellows only permit up to a 300mm lens. But that's plenty for most users. You can certainly find one for around 600 on the flea bay.

8. cblurton

cblurton Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Shen Hao is a very solid camera for not much $. I like mine a lot.

9. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the Shen Hao 45hzx II. I've had mine for over a decade now and although it doesn't see much use anymore (I've gone much bigger film-wise), I've gotten a LOT of use out of it and taken it all kinds of places. I'd sell mine but I'm planning to use it for doing wet plate in the field.

10. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since you have the speed graphic, might consider a 5x7 field camera. Yes they do tend to be more $ than a 4x5, but if you shop around there are the Burke & James, Korona, Kodak-2D that will have backs you can change and shoot both 4x5 and 5x7. Plus the 5x7 makes great contact prints (not to mention it is a wonderful size).

Good advice already, but consider the 4x5/5x7 option they are really great.

11. rwyoung

rwyoung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many of the Speed and Pacemaker Graphics do have limited FRONT standard movements. Exactly which model do you have?

12. Pupfish

Pupfish Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The move I most need that most cameras lack is a rotating back.

After a couple of years of looking I found a really nice Meridian 45B last year that does a really nice job with wide angles, even folds up with a 90mm Nikon SW installed on a flat board, and a 210mm f/5.6 Plasmat on a slightly recessed one.

The Super Graphic I just picked up for cheap has everything I'll ever need for the 135mm I expect to leave on it permanently.

13. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe I have a Anniversary Speed Graphic. It doesn't have any movement at all other than dropping the bed down, but that doesn't help much.