EOS-1v: Should I turn it off? (Batt. life)

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Lars Daniel, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Lars Daniel

Lars Daniel Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1v newbie here. I was just wondering if it makes any difference to battery life if it is not switched off when not in use. I keep forgetting to switch it off, since I never do that on my d*****l camera.

2. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dunno about the 1v but on my Nikons I often forget and leave them on for days, doesn't seem to affect the battery

3. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Snap - I was just wondering that same thing today (since my shiny "new to me" EOS 1v came in the post this morning)!!

Marc

4. haris

haris Guest

Switch camera off and if not use is more than few days, remove battery completely from camera. That is what one should do with any battery powered device. If course if battery is not removable than just switch device off.

If camera is on it will use battery power for LCD if nothing else. And even if camera is off it will drain small amount of power. And some batteries can leak if battery is inside of device which is not used for prolonged period. I forgot to remove batteries (NiMH) from mine bicycle light, light was off and discovered I had to replace 2 of 5 batteries as electrolites leaked out from batteries.

Oposite from digi cameras, analog cameras are workable in a same moment when you switch it on, there is no power lag like with digi cameras, so there is no need not to swtch camera off when not use it.

5. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Based on my experience as a technician at Canon Australia for 5 years in the good old days (New F1's, T90, AE1 Program, Eos 1n, Rs, even the odd Leica mount Canon rangefinder) they use less than 5 microamps when they are on and just sitting there (my memory may be mistaken to the actual number as it's been 20 years), without any of the buttons being pressed. Funny thing was you could get the same sort of battery drain with the camera switched off with a button presses (strange-I know, but true..)

My usual advice is to leave the camera on while you are actually shooting, and turn it off at the end of the day when you put it in your bag....just make sure none of the shutter buttons (body or grip) are being pressed

6. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My 1v suffers no ill effects to battery performance if I leave it on.
    I'm running the NP-E2.

I try to remember to turn off my 1n because that uses the 2CR5 and those can get pricey.

7. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I usually turn mine off when not in use. As in if it goes in the bag for the day, I flip it off. I think it uses minimal power if left on, but you aren't doing anything with it.

8. dk_samurai

dk_samurai Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If I remember to turn it off in the end of the day, I do. But I won't be worried about it if I didn't.

/David

9. wclark5179

wclark5179 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Batteries, what are those? Don't use them in my medium format cameras! Grins & Smiles!

But for cameras that have batteries for more than the light meter I only take them out when I re-charge them. The film cameras that have a button battery for the light meter I only replace when it's dead. When I make pics at an important gig I charge everything up before the event takes place, camera batteries, flash batteries, the ones in each piece of equipment as well as backups. I turn off the cameras, flashes when the gig is over.

Hope this helps you.

10. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only reason I switch of my EOS 3 and 300 are so that the shutter button doesn't get pressed accidentaly, as I generally have things...slightly disorganised, let's say, in my bag.

11. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A long long time ago at uni art school, one tidbit we learned was to switch off the "emerging new breed" (now every day staples of our creative endeavour) of electronic cameras to prevent unnecessary battery drain and accidental exposure through handling e.g. packing away in its toploader, which is a tight fit and exerts pressure on several buttons, including the shutter. Thus, ever since my much-loved Canon T90 in 1988, I have switched the cameras off at the end of a shooting session, right up through several EOS bodies to the current EOS 1N ('Brutus', running off PDB-E1), in which the lithium batteries have been in service all of 7 years now. Some LCD displays may 'ghost' if left on persistently long enough.

Even when turned off, all EOS bodies (other electronic cameras too) use a minute amount of power for memory and external displays.

12. SilverGlow

SilverGlow Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I keep my 1v on all the time whilest out making pictures all day long. I added the battery grip to my 1v and it takes 8 AA recharables, so I recharge them a few times a month and I never get caught with a dead pack....I shoot around 20 rolls a month. I would suggest all 1v users get the AA grip because one day the normal battery may no longer be available...but me, I'm ready for that eventuality ;-)

13. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The instruction manual probably sez what to do with power when you are not using the camera: Turn it off.

Why would a camera being digital or film affect whether or not you should turn it off when you are not using it? Digital cameras should be shut off when they are not being used as well.

Seems like common sense to me. When you do not need something to be on, turn it off!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2010
  14. Lars Daniel

Lars Daniel Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all.
    It was not the general "what to do with battery equipment" tips I was after. I was aiming at specific knowledge of EOS-1v power consumption in on versus off state. The thing is, the display is obviously still ON when you turn off the camera: It shows the frame count.
    And no, I never switch off my dslr, it takes care of that all by itself ;-)

15. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lars, the amount of power being consumed just to show the bare minimum of details on the external display when the camera is off is so miniscule that you are better off worrying how much gas or electricity is being consumed on the stove at its lowest setting! All the other posts though hold true that a camera is best turned off when not in use.

16. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know about the Canon but my Nikon F5 draws exactly the same current when it's turned off and when the power switch is on and the shutter realease button is not pressed for more than 16 seconds. The current draw specified in the Nikon service manual is 60 microamp and measure my own F5 and it measures 80 microamp.

17. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As far as I know, the 1V draws hardly any power when it's to hold the shutter open on bulb exposures. From that I extrapolate that hardly any power is used while the camera is just sitting there with it's shutter closed.

The manual states, "When the camera is not to be used, set the (camera to off). This will prevent accidental battery drainage if the shutter button is held down inadvertently."

So, I would say that the camera uses effectively no power while just sitting there, on or off. Film advance will certainly use some power, as will shutter activation, focusing, and metering. Lenses with IS will presumably use more.

18. chino79

chino79 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think i agree that most cameras use hardley any power when not in use, if the buttons are depressed in the bag though it's going to meetering etc so it going to use more.

Something we should be carefull of is, Batteries leaking. A friend of mine has a Canon A1 with grip, the batteries leaked and corroded the grip. Messy.