EOS 1V?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by F/1.4, Feb 4, 2012.

1. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I've been primarily a Nikon shooter for years, but my D700 took big fall and insurance is paying out $2500 to fix it. Since I barely shoot digital anymore I was thinking this could be a good opportunity to expand my horizons..

I could get a used 1V with a new 50mm f/1.2L and still have change leftover. I figure if I don't like it, worst case scenario I'm out a few hundred. Reason I'm considering this is because when shooting in darker spaces/times, the 1.2 can let me shoot later in the day when doing portraits at sunset.

This would be used for professional portrait applications. Im curious if anyone here has used that combination and has anything to share on performance wide-open on color negative film. Also, I'm pretty accustomed to the metering on the F100, is the 1V much different?

Currently, for 35mm I've been using F100's with the 24, 35, and 50mm all f/1.4G versions.

Thanks for the input!

2. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I haven't used the 1V with the 50L, though I've thought of getting one. As it is, I use the 1V with the 50/1.4 and the 28/1.8. Great setup. I borrowed the 24 L II from work and shot a couple rolls with the 1V and really dug that too.

The 50L sounds like a great lens. It's not that much faster than the 50/1.4 and barring minor differences in the lenses, should be about the same kind of shooting experience. I *think* the 50L is supposed to focus faster than the f/1.4 version, but I couldn't swear by that. The 50/1.4 is reasonable in terms of focus - it could be faster, but I've shot in relatively dark situations and been ok.

As far as metering, you get evaluative, which is pretty decent, and spot, partial, and center weighted metering. Partial is like a fat spot. Evaluative works pretty well in most situations, and when you need to think about what your are doing, spot will let you get whatever measurement you need. Don't know what the F100 offers, but the 1V is very flexible here. Also, with spot, you can take multiple measurements and the camera will average them (and display the readings on the scale in the left of the finder).

All in all, it's a fantastic camera. I would actually sell my two lenses and buy the 50L and 24L if I shot SLR more, but I sink all my time and camera money into my RF system instead.

3. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Worst case scenario you should get very close to your money back on a Canon L if you take care of it. Of course the "practical" choice is to go Nikon f1.2 and F5.

4. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1V has very powerful metering and over-powered AF selection when in 40+ point mode (you won't use it trust me). This body won't present any issues for you.

As far as the 50L goes though, IMO very overpriced and nothing overly fancy vs the non-L 50. Don't waste your money on it.

Honestly you might be better off with an F1 and the FD mount 85 if you have no issue with manual focus.

5. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies :smile:

My eyesight through viewfinders typically isn't great. My glasses are pretty darn thick and have a lot of CA at anything but the center. Otherwise MF would be no problem, but for me is almost impossible to be consistent.

I've used the canon 50mm 1.4 and wasn't too impressed compared to my Nikon 50G. AF on the EF 50 1.4 was inconsistent (could have been the body - 5D vs D700), and the Nikon 50 had much smoother bokeh.

I've heard the 50 1.2L is pretty much a rock star in the AF dept so long as you're using a newer version.

That's good to hear about the metering, I try to keep it simple, but I really like idea of averaging out spots..I didn't know it could do that!

6. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also, if you're worried about what lens purchase to make, I recommend first renting a lens from borrowlens (who I believe do ship) to try it out first.

I have actually used the 50L before, and like the 85L, the AF is not fast at all actually. In fact, the AF mode of both the 50L and 85L are what annoyed me the most about both of them (their fake fly-by-wire MF mode sucks too). However, the glass/images out of the 85/1.2 are completely awesome. 50 was a solid lens, just nothing that blew me away.

Back to the 1V though: great body, very easy and fast to load, motor drive is solid, pretty much a top-level pro body easily in the same class as any of the current Canon professional bodies (it just isn't digital, nor is it 5000$+).

7. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the IV is a heavy beast though, that should be noted.

8. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The OP may also consider the EOS 1N instead of the 1V. Cheaper, easier to come by and equipped with all the bells and whistles that one could ever need. The 1N is also slightly less heavy. Both are tanks.

Compared to the F100 the EOS 1N gains MLU and a built-in viewfinder shutter, both of which are very useful to me. YMMV!

9. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you want to save a few bucks consider the EOS 3 as well. It has nearly all features of the 1V but is significantly cheaper. It could be a bit more quiet though.

10. TimmyMac

TimmyMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For a portrait system, why not a Contax 645 with the 80/2 Planar?

11. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OP can't stand the slow af on his mamiya so he won't like the con tax system either although I rarely us the AF on mine.
    The con tax 645 is fairly beastly also but handles well. Lenses are exceptional.

I have a 1V, 1N, and had a 3.
    If I were going for a canon portrait rig I would say the 85L over the 50L but them we have those pesky slower af issues with the 85L.

Any super fast lens is gaining to present compromise.
    If you can handle a 135 fl the Canon 135L is outstanding even at f/2.

I just opted for the 135L but will inevitably get an 85L when I win some money somewhere.

12. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Something else to bear in mind if you've been a user of Nikon AF cameras, is that Canon's control layout is different from Nikon's. Canon's control wheels, for example, are vertical while Nikon's are horizontal. I've used both systems a fair amount and much prefer the Canon layout. Your preferences may be different, of course. The issue is that if you do have strong preferences, it can be awkward to own both types and need to keep switching from one to the other, especially if your work depends on quick and intuitive control adjustment in fast-changing situations.

13. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is virtually no portrait situation that warrants a 1V and a 1.2L lens. The 1V was designed mainly as a superb speed machine with up to 10fps shooting with the appropriate grip/battery combination. I have currently or have used the 1, 1N, 1V, and EOS 3 and they are all nice cameras (although my EOS 3 is currently dead) but they are simply overkill for portraits. With that kind of money I'd opt for digital and get a 5D, because with a film camera you'll end up with far more than you really need. I'd stick with the Nikon bodies you already own and look into getting some of the high end Nikon glass, a film freezer, and a boatload of film, paper and chemicals.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also the wheel under the forefinger is different; Canon = shutter speeds, Nikon = Aperture values.

I really don't see much difference between the Canon 50 1.2L and the Nikon 50 1.4G, certainly not to justify the money you'll be paying, and while the 1V is an awesome camera, the F100 can certainly hold its own against it. Save your money.

And, yes, I am a life-long Canon user.

16. Phalbert

Phalbert Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are many threads on the net where people favor the 85/1,2 far above the 50 for your purpose. Just noting...

17. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the input!

I know the 135 or the 85 are more "classical" FL's, but i'm really not that interested in them and I would use a 50mm far more often. I owned the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 and sold it last year because in 2010 I only used it a couple times, and it had nothing to do with the optics. It just felt inappropriate most of the time for what I wanted. 85's and 135's are the lenses I rent once or twice a year, for the once or twice I need them.

I also like the suggestion of the Contax, and it's a beautiful camera don't get me wrong. But at about $3500 for a kit (if you can find one) with zero parts availability, and considering I've already got a 645AFD, 80mm f/2.8, and 4 backs..I think i'm ok. Not to mention, it still wouldn't change the fact that I'd be shooting 35mm when it gets dark anyway.

I was looking at the 1N and wasn't thrilled with its AF layout or flash system, the EOS 3 looks interesting, and if I decide to switch completely i'd get one for a backup, but 1V's are so cheap, I might as well pay an extra $100-$200 for the very best Canon can offer in 35mm. I would also feel better with something that had good weather seals and an AF system comparable to my D700. Here in Portland it rains what seems 300 days out of the year, and i've shot at weddings where I have had drinks spilled onto my gear. Damn near guaranteed a 1V would be OK, a 1N probably, a 3..not sure.

I'll take the suggestion to rent, for sure. Pro Photo here has both the 1V and the 50L available and might pick it up tomorrow to play around with. I'll report what I think about it and will post images if I think they're any good :smile:

I'm sure it sounds Overkill.. and I know for "technically good" portraiture, you should never shoot 50mm let alone at f/1.2..but I don't want "technically good". That's why i'm not shooting weddings/portraits digitally unless necessary. I want soft, bright, warm, organic. I shoot wide open just about 90% of the time when shooting people and am really interested in a Camera/Lens combination that will let me shoot Ektar 100 or 400h in most situations without a tripod or a flash. The Mamiya can't do it, The Nikon can get damn close.

As much as I would like to use the Nikon 50mm f/1.2, the Canon 1.2L is optically much stronger, my MF skills suck, and (I know this is retarded) but I can't show up to a wedding with a manual focus camera like an FE/F3 and not expect to be second guessed by the attendees. You can't just act the part, you have to look it too. Using equipment designed 30-40 years ago does not come off as professional to the layman. Even though all of us on here know better, joe-blow can't tell the difference between an FA and a disposable :\

The appeal of the 1V + 50L is a lens that has gorgeous rendering for a 50mm, and a camera body that can reliably support f/1.2 in fading light, all the while I don't have to worry about anything breaking while I work it. The F100, as great of a body as it is, can get iffy in darker situations in regards to metering and AF and i've already worn one out from use.

I'll rent the combination for sure this week and i'll let you all know what's up, again THANK YOU for your opinions, I love it!!!!

18. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I might be selling my 1vhs in the very near future. Comes with charger and 2 nicad batteries. Also have st-e2 and 3 430ex speedlites...

19. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Go all out and get the 50mm f/1.0L instead :smile:

20. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also, if you aren't a prime insister (if that's a word), I have loved my 70-200 for portrait work. It's in fact the ONLY Canon lens I have left (and in turn the only auto focus as well).

21. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    While the other options are very very good (3 and 1N), I agree with you. If you've got the extra $200 or so, go for the 1V.

22. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Canon EOS shooter here.

The 85L II is ideal for portraits and costs about the same more or less as the 50L, it's my weapon of choice on my 5d.

23. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, for outdoor portraits, the 1V makes some sense, as does an also-sealed lens like the 50mm 1.2L. I prefer my Maxxum 9 for working faces with shallow depth of field (due to it's fastest-ever top shutter speed) but I haven't invested in great Minolta/Sony glass yet to say if there's a competitor out there. I hope to someday win the lottery and pop for the Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar T Zoom, but until then I'll keep looking for those hidden gems Minolta seems to have made a ton of.

24. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    While the weather sealing of the 1V is superior the sealing of the 3 and 1N are said to be equal.
    Once I carried the 3 a whole day under my rain jacket while hiking in pouring rain through torres del paine. The top deck LCD was nearly invisible due to internal condensation but the camera worked flawless.

25. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, so I've got a 1V (without grip) and a 50mm f/1.2L for the weekend!

First impressions compared to my F100's, before I run any rolls through it:

-Robust. I was surprised how much heavier it is compared to the seemingly light F100. The camera and lens are like shooting the D700 and 24 or 35 f/1.4G heavy. Balance is surprisingly good though, much better than the F100 with either of those lenses by a long shot. It feels like a serious camera, and you can easily tell it can shoot in just about any environment on this planet with grace == 1V by a long shot.

-Nice Grip. Fits alright, not perfect. It's comfy when i get my death grip on, but the F100 is a little more rounded. The shutter release is a little easier on the F100 with my long fingers and the back right corner digs in my palm a little. ==F100

-Loud. Obviously, it shoots 10fps, it feels and sounds more serious. I like this. Alot! ==1V

-Jenky control scheme. Whoever designed the control layout and AF selection method is an idiot. I can change the shooting mode, metering, and AF drive without taking the camera away from my eye on the F100. These are all things you have to stop what you're doing to change on the 1V. ==F100..by a long shot.

-Big viewfinder. 100%, brighter, clearer, sharper. ==1V

-Awesome AF. But the selection method is catastrophic. Whoever thought the wheels were a good idea vs. a joystick is an idiot. But despite this bonehead decision, the AF system on this thing is a total rockstar. Faster, more accurate, and better area. ==1V

-Custom functions galore. The 1V really needs an LCD on it like the F6, there's a TON of customization options and the function numbers are cryptic. Silly things like mirror lockup shouldn't be C. Fn. 12....it should be part of the drive switch. "Personal" functions shouldn't be locked out to the EOS software whatever thing that's an extra $God-knows-what. ==1V

This thing is pretty impressive. It looks impressive, it feels impressive, it sounds impressive, there's not alot on it that's not impressive. I cannot wait until this weekend when I can run some Ektar 100 and 400H though it.. I want to see what a 50mm f/1.2 will do wide open...That will be the ultimate deciding factor when it comes down to it. Even though there are some things that I don't like/different..they are things that just need adjusting to. I compared it to a Nikon F6 with the 50mm f/1.4G on it today too, and it wasn't even a contest. The EOS 1V felt much more robust and meant for professional use. the F6 felt more refined and precise, but also more fragile. The 50mm f/1.4G feels like a toy compared to the 50L.

I've shot just about nothing but Nikon for over 6 years, so this is a little uncomfortable, but if the film looks amazing than...well, we'll see when that day comes.

I'll keep posting when I make more observations compared to the Nikon system..

26. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, let's not go too far, the F5 and F6 are *serious* cameras that will give any 1V a run for it's money - and this is coming from a 1V owner. :smile:

Yours have a PB on it btw?