EP-2 Blix

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by mtjade2007, Apr 16, 2010.

1. mtjade2007

mtjade2007 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a few boxes of discontinued unmixed Kodak EP-2 (paper) Blix that have gone bad of course. I over bought them at a close out sale from a store that went out of business. I could not use them up fast enough before EP-2 paper was discontinued and became unavailable.

The Blix came in two parts. My guess is that one part is bleach and the other is fix for the EP-2 paper. One part has the brown color of bleach. It still looks the same as the day I bought it. The other was clear when new but now it is milky and looks bad.

My question is, is there a possibility that I can still use the bleach part of this Blix? Can I use it as a C-41 bleach or use it to replenish C-41 bleach? I hate to waste it if it can be used still in any way. Any creative ideas anyone?

2. RPC

RPC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the bleach part is still good, and you do RA-4 printing, you might be able to mix it with C-41 fixer to make an RA-4 blix. I'm not sure, but when EP-2 was discontinued, you might have been able to use the blix kits for RA-4 paper.

RPC

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is still good. Mix the bad part, which is fixer, with an equal volume of the C-41 regular fixer (Not the RA C41 fixer) and then dilute to working strength.

PE

4. mtjade2007

mtjade2007 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    PE, thanks for the quick reply. It's good to know that it can be used still as a RA-4 Blix. However, my darkroom is not set up at the moment and I won't be doing any RA-4 process any time soon. Can I just use the bleach part in my C-41 process? I mainly do C-41 now. I would like to optimize my Jobo ATL-2300 for C-41 before E-6 which is what I will likely pursue next.

5. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The RA bleach cannot be used in C41. Sorry.

PE

6. mtjade2007

mtjade2007 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I guess I will have to do RA-4 in some distant future. Thanks again PE. I am glad that it is still usable at least.