equip/supplies in Virginia?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Steven Nestler, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Steven Nestler

Steven Nestler Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi.
    I've just moved to the Charlottesville, VA area, and need to purchase darkroom accessories, like chemical bottles, etc.
    I know I can order these things online, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of local resources in central Virginia.
    Thanks,
    Steven

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might look up Richmond Camera, they may have a location in Charlottesville. They can be a little pricey.

Jeff

3. Badris

Badris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Steven,

I used to live in Charlottesville over a decade ago. I'd highly recommend Pro Camera on Forest Street off of Preston Avenue. Bill Moretz is the long time owner of the place, and he's well stocked with darkroom stuff including quite a bit of used gear - he prob even has a couple enlargers in the back room and in the basement!

Cheers,
    -B

4. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Along the line of this inquiry, I went over to what used to be Penn Camera at Tysons Corner here in northern Virginia, now operated by Calumet, to get some fixer. Well, that's the last time I'll try that option -- no fixer, a lonely bottle of Photo-Flo, no other chemicals of any manufacture available. I asked a salesperson and was told that some might be on order -- but given the total focus on digitial gear, to the point of no longer selling any used/traded gear, it seems very clear that Penn/Calumet is no longer an option for film photogaphers (tho they do still sell some Ilford film). And Pro Photo in DC has downsized significantly -- the still handled analog gear, including Leica, but no chems visible in the public areas.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you call ahead to Penn Camera at Tysons Corner and tell them what you want, they will get it for you and tell you when it will be in.

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

7. Badris

Badris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Sirius. Been a lurker for awhile here, figured I should speak up once in a while :smile:

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Speak and lurk no more.

9. Steven Nestler

Steven Nestler Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks to all!