Equivalent film to Fuji 160s?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by htmlguru4242, Jul 16, 2006.

1. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Argh; I'm taking some photos next Saturday (as I've mentioned), and I was going to use Fujicolor 160s. B&H and Adorama are out of stock, and Freestyle doesn't tell me if it's in stock or not, and their shipping says that it'll take 5 days, which is cutting it too close.

Is there an equivalent color film to 160s that is available at B&H? They have 160c, but it's labeled as high contrast, so I'm not sure ...

2. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    You could use the Fujicolor Pro 400H. No other film is more similar to Pro 160S. They can even be printed with the same settings.

3. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, thnx, freestyle has that in stock, so that'll work, hopefully.

Is the grain / color noticeably different in 5x7s and 8x10s?

4. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    The color is practically the same, the grain is minimally worse with the 400 of course. Are you going to shoot 35mm film? I think you are going to get great results with both films. I use the 400 for all hand held photography now because I find that the extra speed is useful and results in sharper images. The 160 I only use with the tripod.

5. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about NPS 160??? Shouldn't that be more or less Identical - ? There's a TON on ebay. Really CHEAP, too.

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    See if they have Kodak Portra 160 NC this is also an excellent film for social/ portrait/ wedding shots giving soft contrast and good skin tones.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2006
  7. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&H doesn't have 400H instock either.

Can I get a second reccomendation for the Portra NC?

8. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second Portra NC. I compared 160S with Portra 160NC in 35mm, and the thing that kept me away from the Fuji was the sickly green tones and overall pastel colors. The Kodak film has much more "natural" colors, and similar fine grain/contrast. I'd go with the Kodak any day with eyes closed.

9. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ok, thanks all.

10. poutnik

poutnik Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I regularly use Fuji NPS 160, now have tried Fuji Pro 160 S (haven't seen the result so far) - I shoot mainly landscapes in medium format (6×7cm). I've definitelly been dissatisfaied with Kodak Portra 160 VC for landscapes - difficult to correct color cast, not as good colors. So I have no experience with Kodak Portra 160 NC, but judging form VC, I'd not recommend it. Go for the NPS 160 instead...

Jiri