Ethol Blue Formula?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by sepiareverb, Jan 15, 2011.

1. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just saw some old negatives, Tri-X I ran in Ethol Blue many years ago- and am wondering about mixing some of this up. Grit and grain has some appeal of late.

I did some searching for the recipe, but no luck. Anybody??

2. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Found this, a start anyway.

3. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looked for years and could never find a formula or something similar. It was popular for a time but was withdrawn by the manufacturer. Since it used sodium hydroxide as the activator and not sodium carbonate and contained hydroqinone it was not the same as the Beutler formula. The only thing even close and still made would be Ethol TEC.

5. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Grrrr.

6. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got this email in response to my query about availability of Ethol Blue or the recipe from Omega/Brandess:

7. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doesn't appear to be. Neofin Blue was reported to be a commercial version of the Beutler formula. Ethol Blue seems to be different. According to the MSDS, it appears to be an MQ developer with sodium hydroxide as the accelerator. Most developers using this combination are designed for high contrast, rapid processing, or both. X-ray developers commonly use these ingredients. But with sufficient dilution things can be calmed down. I notice there are several catechol based compensating developers that use sodium hydroxide at concentrations of 150 - 500 mg/l of working solution.

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've consulted my Photo Lab Index, and no recipe. There is plenty of info on use and time and temp charts for it though.