Ethol LPD replenishment?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jmcd, May 18, 2010.

1. jmcd

jmcd Member

I am trying out some Ethol LPD (Lasting Print Developer) and would like to locate the replenishment instructions for various dilutions—can anyone provide instructions referred to on the back of the can, or...? Thank you!

2. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mix up the gallon kit according to the instructions.

Take 1/3 of the gallon and mix with water to one gallon; this is your working solution.

Take the remaining 2/3 of the concentrate and mix with water to one gallon total volume; this is your replenisher.

For every 30 8x10 prints you make you replenish 300ml.

After your printing session and replenishment you top up the working solution to a full gallon.

Store the replenisher in an accordion bottle or find a way of storing it in a container with as little air getting to it as possible.

When you have used up your replenisher you must mix a new batch. But instead of using water to mix the new concentrate into working solution, you use the old developer - this way you get the benefits of your replenished batch in the new working solution as well.

- Thomas

3. jmcd

jmcd Member

Thank you, Thomas. This sounds like the "neutral" solution that you are working with. I started with that yesterday, and finding it a bit warm for my paper and mood, "cooled" the dilution to make it 1:1. I am guessing that the replenishment amount might go up to 500ml of stock, and that the warmer dilutions might not replenish as readily?

4. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The replenishment instructions only describe the 1:2 ratio, unfortunately; if you want to try any other dilution you are on your own with testing and all. I'm sure there's some sort of math that can be applied to it.

Life span of the developer, used as described above, is about six months.

- Thomas

5. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My old direction sheet says you can "dilute stock solution 1:1. For this purpose, use straight stock solution as your replenisher."

6. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's interesting, John. I haven't seen that in the instruction sheet that was provided to me by a fellow photographer.

I guess there must be more than one version of it floating around. Does it say how much to replenish?

7. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No, it does not. But is says in one para that one can assume a double-weight print uses about half an ounce of developer. In another para, referring to using the liquid concentrate, that after 20 prints, bring the level of the tray up to its original level using concentrate mixed a replenisher.

The old, developer-stained copy I have is listed as Bulletin No. 8K. I see no date on it. To the best of my knowledge, Ethol no longer gives replenishment instructions.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2010
  8. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, they don't give replenishment instructions directly on the can (I only use the powder), but it is also printed on the can:

"REPLENISHMENT For data on replenishing, write us for a technical bulletin".

Address:
    BKA (Brandess/Kalt/Aetna)
    701 Corporate Woods Pkwy
    Vernon Hills, IL 60061

- Thomas

9. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Thomas,

I hope you see this and apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I've got a question...

I'm on my last batch of dektol and I have a can of LPD to try. I'll probably be ready to try about a month from now. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to the change or not... I've gotten used to dektol, but it would be nice not to have to mix new working solution when it's been a few days between printing sessions.

When you go to add your 300ml, after making the equivalent of 30 8x10 prints, is there always room to add the 300ml? In other words, has that much always been carried over to the stop bath? Or do you sometimes have to discard some of the working solution to make room to add the replenisher?

Thanks!
    -Ned

10. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Ned,

If I print as much as 30 8x10 equivalent, there is always room for the 300 ml.
    Usually I don't print that much so for the most part I just end up topping up my gallon of working solution. There is a fair bit more chemical transfer than most people think.

It's a very nice and economical way to print.

11. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you very much. I misunderstood: I was thinking that you were supposed to wait until printing that much to replenish. My printing sessions rarely use more than 2 or 3 8x10 equivalents!

Sounds like this will work:

1) top off the working solution after each session
    2) keep an eye on it, and make sure at least 300ml of replenishment has happened for each 30 8x10 prints.

Ned

12. swittmann

swittmann Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thomas and John, thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I am reading this with great interest, as I like this developer a lot. Never used it replenished yet as I wanted to remain flexible with regards to the dilution -> image tone. However, I think 1:2 looks just beautiful with Ilford MGW and Fomabrom Var. 111, so I might give it a try...

13. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm still using the same bottle that I started during this thread. Love it.

I often pre-soak my prints before development, so I don't always get as much carryover. My replenishment routine is slightly different but ends up replenishing the developer at the same rate. Instead of making a separate "replenishment" bottle, I replenish from the stock solution:

For every 3 8x10 prints, add 20 ml of stock solution. Top off with DH[SUB]2[/SUB]O if needed, dump a few ml of developer if you need to make space. Filter occasionally when dark specs build up in the bottom of the bottle.

This developer has huge capacity, so you don't have to do it after every 3 prints, but do it at that rate. I keep my working developer in a 500 ml bottle and usually replenish it before I reach 10 8x10 prints. A little tally sheet keeps track of how much paper has gone through since last replenishment.

15. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm still using Ethol LPD, basically my only print developer for the last decade. I use it as I stated originally, and when I'm out of replenisher I use the spent working solution to mix my new working solution 1+2 with fresh stock solution. My replenisher is then 2 parts stock to 1 part water, and on and on I go, in perpetuity. Never had to mix a fresh batch from scratch in all those years.

16. Loren Sattler

Loren Sattler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1 for Thomas Bertilsson's replenishment formula. It it very convenient and works well.

17. JW PHOTO

JW PHOTO Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've used powdered LPD several times, but have lately settled on a version of Ansco 130 and ID-78. Both of these developers have excellent shelf and tray life much like LPD. From what I read LPD is the "King" in the stability/long life department and I was wondering if anyone here has a guess as to what ingredient in it's makeup might contribute to its longevity? Is it just the glycin?