European APUG Meeting

Discussion in 'Member Organized Functions' started by clogz, Jun 23, 2005.

1. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now and then, during a chat session or in a thread, the idea of organising a conference for the European members is brought forward.

My question: how many of us here in the old world would be interested in such a meeting? If interested, please hit the reply button and let me know what your ideas are re. location, activities, facilities etc.

Regards

Hans

Disclaimer: My asking this question does not necessarily mean I will organize this meeting. :cool:

2. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm in - but would of course prefer meeting in western Norway :smile:

I have good connections in Norway's deepest valley, which incidentally has one of the world's highest densities of tourist acommodation...

3. rogueish

rogueish Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not on your side of the pond, but am interested. I was hoping the APUG conf. would become a tradition and be held every couple years. That way if it is in Europe (or anywhere else) within the next couple years, I could save enough to attend. Seems most people need the extra time to gather funds and make arrangements.
    I think Bob C. MrCallow and Eric R. have tried to organize the current one in such a way, that it can be handed over to the next group that wishes to continue.
    Hope it happens, no matter when you hold it!

4. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rogueish, is correct we hope that what is being done now can be picked up by others and used in the future.

We are also hoping that we will get a fair amount of people from the eastern hemisphere and that future conferences can be held in Europe, Oceania, or where ever there is an APUG contingent.

I for one would come to a European Apug conference, but would prefer to do it during a time frame that wouldn't conflict with the one we are planning.

5. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have to agree that an APUG Conference in Europe is a great idea, and I'd come over too, BUT I think it should after the one organized in Toronto next year.

Organizing a 'European' conference now will only dilute the existing conference being organized.

I'd refrain from regionalizing the conferences. An APUG Conference is an APUG Conference, and I know the one being organized for next year is not regional in anyway. It's meant to be an APUG Conference for all APUGers.

I like the concept of having one every other year. Maybe the one after can be held in Europe. Like I mentioned, I'd fly over, wherever in Europe it will be held. My suggestion would be Bratislava during their photographic festival. Maybe we can all decide at the APUG Conference in Toronto where the next is held. Sort of like a 'Olympic' committee decision.

Art.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2005
  6. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am in.
    I would love to travel anywhere in Europe to meet the rest of the analog weirdos.
    At the same time, your are welcome to come over and do the conferance at the beach.

7. alien

alien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it happens, I do anything I can to participate!

8. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sadly, Oceania is too far and too expensive to get too or from! Unless your all rich buggers and can come on downunder!

9. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately, they stopped the 10 quid sea cruises from Portsmouth some years ago (I think there was some kind of special requirement for the low price too... Strangely, few ever came back... odd that)... :wink:

Bob.

10. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

hehe! my great-great-great grandmother was a paying customer... so I've been told!

11. jazzmechanic

jazzmechanic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am in ...shoot for sometime in Oct....Come to Germany either Munich or Stuttgart...that's when the Volksfests are happening. What ever city in Europe is decided I will try to make it.

12. micek

micek Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depending on exact dates, I'm in too.

13. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I discussed with Hans already (and some others in the chat), that we are going for a low cost option to keep it central for most European members for a first try out. Also to keep the financial costs, balanced to an attractive program, to a minimum. Maybe we are sponsoring this first EU event. First thought was Köln or environment.

This threat is only to find out if there is enough interest to do it or not.

Best regards,

Robert (also from the Netherlands)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. zinzin

zinzin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As mentioned in a chat session I'm also interested. Agree with Robert about a central location e.g. Germany; I think somebody also mentioned Munich, that being a main airport hub in Germany would help people travelling over there, imho.
    regards
    Salvo

16. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am in!

17. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It sounds like you guys are organizing a 'get-together', not really a conference which has exhibitions, trade displays, speakers, tours, workshops, seminars and a print contest. The first APUG Conference will be a real conference and will also be in conjunction with a major photographic festival - Contact 2006.

Art.

18. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Art,

As might be obvious to the careful reader of the first post to this thread: nothing is organized.....yet. This thread is only meant to find out how many European members would be interested. Also: the scope of the whole meeting/get-together/conference/symposium is still open to suggestions.

Regards

Hans

19. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hans,

I am confused why you would want to even ask this question then and pose it as a 'conference' when all the effort should be put into the APUG Conference in Toronto and finding ways to get as many people there as possible.

Seems like a red herring that is diverting the attention to where it should be and that's the APUG Conference. You can ask this question after the conference is finished or just ask for a get together without calling it a conference. Call me suspicious of the intentions....That's all.

Art.

20. jazzmechanic

jazzmechanic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Count me in to attend and help out. I live in Stuttgart, so traveling anywhere in Germany is Kein problem.

21. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't see the problem Art.
    The vast majority of the users here in APUG are from the US, so it makes sense to hold a conferance close to where they live. Yet, not everybody can travel all the way across the Atlantic. I have done it a million times and I know its not a small trip.

22. rogueish

rogueish Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish you could come to the one being held here, as much as I wish I could also attend yours. Especially if held at arigram's beach suggestion! :cool:
    Wether it's a full fledged Conf. or get together or a small meeting of two photographers over the local brew, I hope it happens for you all!

23. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I also do not see the problem. In a lot of European APUG contacts there seems to be some interest to meet each other, exchange experiences, maybe combined with a seminar or whatever. We are just checking out some possibilities and European members who are maybe interested for such a day/weekend.

Travelling to Canada or USA is quite different than driving a few hours in a car for a seminar and /or a meeting.

But for further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Hans or me.

Best regards,

Robert

24. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK I don't understand. The APUG Conference is suppose to do just what you described.

If you are putting together a 'get-together', I don't see a problem. We just had one last weekend in Asbury Park.

But, if you're putting on a 'conference', then that's another story. Many of us here in North America would FLY OVER THERE to attend a conference - even if it's a weekend. Maybe that's the difference in our philosophies.

Organizing two conferences will dilute people's resources. I would hope that many European APUGers will travel to Toronto, Canada for the APUG Conference and meet other APUGers from around the world.

So can you see why it would be conflicting and confusing if you are putting on a conference? I am hoping this is just an English language thing....

Art.

25. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Relax Art, nobody's stealing away your future attendees.
    I would have loved to attend a conferance if it was somewhat closer or
    somewhere more exotic (well, for me that is) even though I imagine is a lot
    easier and less problematic to travel to Canada than the US.
    If there was a conferance somewhere in Europe, let it be after the American one for obvious reasons.

26. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    simple solution. North america one year, Europe the next. No interference at all. Then those that can attend both can. Those that can only attend one, will at least hopefully have one closer to them. No harm, no foul. It was only a simple question about holding one in Europe, and not the same year as the Toronto one. After all North America is not the center of the apug universe. I think it resides somewhere near Auckland NZ