Ever feel like quiting?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by lightwisps, Aug 3, 2013.

1. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ever feel like selling all your gear and just forgetting about it completely? I am at that point. Maybe it is fleeting, maybe it is lasting. Considering selling all my stuff and moving on. Anyone else ever get like this? Don

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, never. I have set my gear aside for periods of time when I get that kind of feeling.

3. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not yet, but I've only been doing it for 30 years.

4. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What equipment do you have?

:devil:

Ken

5. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I feel like quitting just about every day--quitting everything. Then I think about the men in the Apollo 13 LEM. I once heard Jim Lovell say they had gotten to the point they could have flipped out and started bouncing off the walls, but when it was over they would have been been right where they were in the first place.

6. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    A couple of mint F5s 3 lenses, Saunders/LPL 4450 and 3 lenses and all the rest of the darkroom equipment for up to 20X24, arkay dual dryer and all the regular junk.

7. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why are you thinking of quitting? Time? Money? Inspiration? Results?

8. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have one-or-two hobbies apart from photography, and I occasionally put one or the other (including photography) "on hold" for a while. Then something stirs my interest again, and I come back feeling refreshed and with a new enthusiasm. I don't get too worried...my choice, my time, my money, so long as it doesn't affect my work/wife/family/friends.

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No

10. NDKodak

NDKodak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree darkroom work can be a drag sometimes.
    But I never get tired of photographing things. I enjoy observing,discovering and composing so much, alot of times I do not even care if I get prints made or if anyone else even sees what I shot.

Maybe you should try and switch things up and shoot with 2 1/4 TLR? You get a new format to challenge your composition skills with, a new way view your subject matter with waist level viewfinder, larger negative to work with, etc.

11. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Disgusted with everything for no reason I can put my finger on

12. omaha

omaha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've spent 30 years going from one thing to another, but photography is the one thing I've always come back to.

There's nothing wrong with stepping away for a while and waiting for the muse to re-awaken.

13. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Might try that

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never! On my worst days, when even the sight of another human being disgusts me, photography often times has been my saving grace. A change or two of clothes, the Blad with a couple of lenses and a brick of Panf/FP4, a trusty tripod...and a ferry ride to the Island for a couple of days of communing with nature (Tofino, Cathedral Grove, trails on Pacific Rim...the list is extensive); and when I return to "civilization," my mood has improved by several orders of magnitude and I can deal with whatever comes my way...

16. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Omaha, good point and I have done the same. Maybe it is just "my time of the month"?

17. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think the fact that a model for a book backed out of our agreement and wants lots of money soured me today. Sorry to all for being a bummer

18. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Once in a while I think about it. I never want to sell my camera stuff. Because since it is all film it is not worth much.

Jeff

19. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Getting screwed over by a model is not only painful, it's frequent. If you feel this bad now, think about how it would be to have three or four models in succession back out, flake and just not show, or start asking for stupid stuff like "buy me this outfit and I'll pose for you - and you have to bring it with you to the session or I won't work".

20. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Damn --- aging eyes -- I thought this said "Ever feel like QUILTING!" (My Faire Spouse is a "fabric fondler.")

I've never considered stopping altogether, but I certainly travel in fits and starts as ideas come and go. Taking a break, even for months, is not a major sin in my book. Or perhaps it's time to tackle a whole different genre [insert "think outside the box" and other handy cliches].

I myself have had some nasty thoughts lately (having hit 72 this summer) that there may be other reasons, such as house downsizing or any of too many medical possibilities, to quit or vastly alter what I'm doing. It would figure I should face that just as I get most of the gear and setups I have coveted available to me. But so far all is well, so I just keep blundering along and try not to think too much about it!

21. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We've all been there. This is a sign of over saturation and you need to just take a break for a while. If you do anything in the darkroom try to do new things like playing with different toners, etc. otherwise put it aside for a while. Just don't do anything rash.

22. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, the true point of my earlier response.

Once it's gone, it's gone. Then a month or two later when you feel better...

:sad:

Ken

23. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too.

24. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    See if you can find "The Creative Fire" by Estes. SHe talks a lot about the cycle of the creative artist. It always ebes and flows.

Have been doing this for over 65 years and in my mid 30's i put everything away and thought about selling it off when a friend offered to buy it and when I came to my sense sell it back .

I didn't take her offer, but I did have a period of several years where I just didn't care about working. However, since that time, the "down" time varies but I never think of selling it all and walking away.

Try to find something totally different to work on, something that makes your heart sing (certainly not models :smile:)

25. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Don,

if you can afford it - go for a long trip, somewhere on another continent if possible.

cheers,

26. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never once thought of quitting in more than sixty years, because it's part of my D.N.A, it's who I am.