Ever have a day like this?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by bmac, Apr 12, 2004.

1. bmac

bmac Member

Ever have one of those days where you should have left the camera at home, and probably stayed in bed??? I had one today.

I had some free time (a rarity lately) and decided to take a short ride up to Fremont to check out Mission San Jose. It was an easy 16 mile drive from my house. I stopped at the camera store and picked up a few rolls of film and headed off with my 35mm gear.

I got to the mission, and took a roll outside, reloaded and started my way up to the main entrance to the mission. (the gift shop, what a surprise!).

I got in the door, and started browsing through their merchandise, just killing time. That’s when the Nun behind the counter attacked me .

“You can’t wear a backpack inside the chapel or on the tour!” I said ok, and continued to browse. She said it again, a little louder, and lot more forceful. “You can’t wear a backpack inside the chapel or on the tour!!” I said no problem, I would drop it off at my car before entering the chapel. I smiled, and went on my way. Then she said… “I don’t want you wearing it in the gift shop either! By this time, my Sicilian / Irish blood started to boil. He he… I started walking to the door, ignoring her, and was just going to put my backpack away. When I opened the door, a family with 4 young kids ran into the gift shop and made a commotion. I held the door open for them, wondering if the gift shop Nazi was going to let the kids in her precious gift shop (they might break something ya know…) she did, I was ½ way out the door, and she yells out. “backpacks inside the chapel or on the tour!” I stopped, turned to her, and stared at her for slightly longer then it was comfortable for either of us, then turned around, went to my car, and headed out for my second location.

Location # 2 was about 6 or 7 miles down the road. Historic Niles, CA. It was a Mecca for silent film production back in the good ol’ days. The light was pretty harsh, so I just spent some time going through the antique shops, and looking in the windows of the closed shops. Planned a few shots for a return visit, etc. I was there over an hour, and decided it was time to head home. I was about 20’ from my car when this Grizzly Adams character in his late 50’s drives up next to me in his 1970’s jeep and yells. Get the hell out of here, we don’t like your type! My jaw hits the ground… he peels away from the curb and honks his horn as he drives wildly down the main street of the town.

By this time, I knew it was time to come home. I told my wife, and she told me that I must just attract weird people. Hehe.

What a strange day.

2. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

Brian,
    It's a shame I live on the other coast. Otherwise I could take photographic day trips with you. You could run interference with the nuts while I took pictures undisturbed.
    Take care,
    Tom

3. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What "type" are you exactly? It is important to know so we can get the right keep out signs up around here if you ever show your face.

4. bmac

bmac Member

UPDATE!

Trying to salvage the day, I decided to run a film test in my trusty ol' Yashica-D. 1/2 way through the test the advance knob fell off in myh hands! LOL

5. bmac

bmac Member

Type... hmmm. 30's, stalky, wearing a pair of shorts and a plaid shirt... truly an undesirable type!

6. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Nazi in the gift shop must have seen a different guy from the Brian that I met last November. That one was a fun guy with a sharp wit who did not project any unpleasantness at all.

7. bmac

bmac Member

oh Les, you're making me blush :smile:

8. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Just don't try any of your troublemakin' around here.

Sean,
    I think that you'd better add "NO BACKPACKS!" to your TOS.

9. brimc76

brimc76 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you looked at the effects that plaid have on some people? I remember years ago I was out for a drink with some friends in a small pub north of Toronto, it was the middle of winter here and so I had on my regulation Canadian plaid shirt. A young lady approached me and after introducing herself (she had just flown in from Britain that day), demanded to know if I was a real Canadian Lumberjack. After picking my friends up off the floor and calming down the laughter we spent the next half hour assuring the young lady that I was not insulted and she hadn't made a fool of herself.

10. Ka

Ka Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think we should all take a planned trip to San Jose, what would that be, several hundred? and take care of the nun and the other grizzly people in that area... (or at least show them that we're rather nice after all). Michael could bring lots of wine and Ed could offer to do the nun's portrait.

11. bmac

bmac Member

LOVE IT!

12. noblebeast

noblebeast Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, it looks like the dark side of those proponents of digital is finally rearing its ugly head - treating film users as undesirable! I can't wait for the signs to start popping up - they'll have the silhouette of a 35mm canister inside a red circle with a slash through it.

13. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Brian,

Next time take Aggie with you and sic the police that *she* attracts onto *your* Nazi's and local yokels!

Then take pictures of the brawl and post them; I need a good laugh!

All the best,

Frank

14. mts

mts Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's why I avoid California and photograph New Mexico.

15. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeeehh!! The mind BOGGLES ...!!!!

16. noblebeast

noblebeast Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Speaking of 'mind boggling,' I'm waiting to hear/read what Ed's approach would be when photographing the aforementioned nun! :surprised:

17. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I, for me, would have a bracing whisky first but I think Ed doesn't like that stuff.

Hans

18. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ed would need to find out what TYPE she is and then apply the appropriate amount of hocus pokus and psycho swings and tilt.

19. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I replied to this a couple of days ago, and ??? I don't see anything here - possibly the reply slipped off into bit heaven...?

Which "Ed" are you addressing here?

If the question was directed towards me ... My answer would be: "With a camera - the same way I photographed a Nun the last time..".

She was a had a *very good* "eye" for photography and had returned from an assignment to Africa, where she had photographed the local people and became fascinated with the flat art - paintings, done by the local people, in their style, of religious themes. She had used an APS camera - and returned with 11 rolls of film. The problem was that she was not experienced in photographing flat art, and there were terrible amounts of perspective errors - keystoning galore.
    I had the film processed in a local Commercial lab, and finally produced ~ 70 or 80 color prints, correcting for the perspective errors by easel tilting - the old "brick trick". *Interesting* - if backbreaking - work!!

I photographed her for an article in their publication about her work.

So -- "How did I photograph her? - and how would I photograph another Nun?"

I'll ignore any subrosa implications here - I would photograph her in exactly the same way as I photograph everyone else - Talk to her, try to get some idea of her inner "being" - Try to discover her internal image of herself , and how she would like to be presented in the photograph ... that would be, more or less, the end of rationalization. Then - try to "leave my Self" and start tripping the shutter, "stream of consciousness-ly" as I always do.

20. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sigh and I was out of town. Karen come on out. Two viking ladies are better than one. I'm sure that nobody would dare stand up to us. Brian might have a bit of fun taking pic's of the aftermath. But I have a tale to tell about my trip. could have used Brian on it.