Everclear OK for dissolving Phenidone?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by WarEaglemtn, Nov 22, 2004.

1. WarEaglemtn

WarEaglemtn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find the use of Everclear something a lot use in wet plate/ambrotype processing. Is it OK to use for dissolving phenidone as well? A bit safer around the house than some other alcohols as this one can be imbibed for 'medicinal' purposes, if nothing else... maybe I can write it off on taxes as a medicine???

2. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It should be fine only if you don't plan to keep your phenidone for a long time

Everclear is Ethanol at a medium concentration and it has a lot of water into it.

3. john_s

john_s Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently acquired some dimezone-s (phenidone variant) to make some pyrocat-hd and it dissolved fairly quickly in water after the previous 2 ingredients (metabisulphite and pyrocatechol). It can be hard to get, but might become easier as more people want it. You need to use a bit more (+27%) because of its higher molecular weight (206 as against 162 for phenidone). It is supposed to make a longer lasting solution, if that is important or useful for you.

4. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Both Phenidone and Dimezone-s dissolve nicely in Propylene Glycol (and the pyrocatechol and metabisulfite as well). The Propylene Glycol stock solutions made with either type of Phenidone last for a very, very long time.

5. john_s

john_s Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tom, have you made up Pyrocat-HD solution_A with propylene glycol instead of water? Sounds like a good idea, especially for me because i prefer to mix chemicals very infrequently. Do you have to heat it above room temp? I admit to some (possibly unfounded) prejudice towards cooking developing agents.

6. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pyrocat-HD mixed in propylene glycol is my standard developer and has been since 2003. I'm just getting ready to mix up another liter of the "A" solution.

All of the A solution components dissolve in propylene glycol between 140F and 160F. All the components in this developer can tolerate considerably higher temperatures than 160F with no degradation.