EverReady Re-stich..

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ToddB, Apr 2, 2013.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

I got a Ever ready case for my 3.5F. The stiching letting go on the back side. Do you think a shoe repair could stich it back. I was wondering if anyone has taken one to local cobbler?

Todd

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Possibly. But, where does one find a "local cobbler"? The nearest one to me is an hour away.

3. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My Autocord came in beautiful condition, but some of the leather case stitching had fallen apart. I had a local shoe repair guy do the restitching, but he was very late in doing the work, complained bitterly, and charged me $40. My advice is do it yourself with a cheap stitching awl and some heavy thread.

4. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think I'll run it by my local place after work. Never hurts to ask.

ToddB

5. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Barry,

After all that.. did he do a good job? Did look nice?

6. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have restitched a few cases. it can be a PITA if you want it to look right. I restitched a case for a Baby Yashica and it took about two hours. I can see why the guy charged so much, but he should not have bitched about it. You can get some harness needles and appropriate thread from Tandy Leather. It shouldn't cost too much, then you can do it and be happy with your own handiwork.

7. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try a local tack shop if you can't find a cobbler; he'll point you to a saddlemaker that will do an excellent job.

8. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It depends on how the case is made. I took a Voigtlander case in to our local cobbler (yes, we still have them here!) and he pointed out the case was actually three layers of leather, stitched through the central layer only, so would require de-glueing over the whole case, stitching and then re-glueing. He wasn't prepared to take on the hassle involved.

9. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Todd--he did a decent job--not quite as nice as the original, but ok. Fred's advice to find a saddlery is probably a good bet. I had a really nice replacement handle for my Speed Graphic made at a leather shop/saddlery and they were great to deal with and reasonably priced.

10. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sweet!! I know a couple places on the way home that I've seen. Thanks guys. I really couldn't constitute getting another case on ebay. So freckin exspensive.

ToddB

11. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have double stitched a few cases that the old cotton stiching fell apart around good shape leather.

I first used waxed white cord from walmart. I wandered into Film Plus in west end Toronto one day with one case done this way.

Kat was pleased to see the old folder back in service, but was a bit horified with the ugly cord.
    She pulled out a big spool of the right heavy black cord and reeld off a few dozen metres and gave it to me, and admonished me to not restore with white cord again.

By the way, if the leather is stiff, while apart, saturate the tanned side with lanolin paste and then wipe off the excess after it has sat for a few weeks. That makes the old leahter supple again so it will not crack.

12. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys, I Landed up stiching it back on my own. There a website that showed how. Took about an hour to do. did a good job on it. Thanks for the input.

Todd

13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could you post the website link.

I bought an Automat with an Opton Tessar at a Flea market on Monday and the case needs restitching. I need to restitch a few others as well, particularty teh one for my Yashicamat 124 in Turkey.

Ian

14. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  15. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks

Ian