Examples of 120mm Super Angulon on 8x10?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Greg Davis, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have an opportunity to get a modern 120mm f/8 Super Angulon and I want to know if anyone has examples of this lens on 8x10 they can post. The lens is in another state, so I cannot try it first. I know some people use the Nikkor SW 120mm or the 121mm Super Angulon, but they are not the lens in question. I appreciate any help.

2. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fred Picker used to own one and loved it. A few might not always have agreed with Fred, but he was very good at what he did. The 120mm SA was one of his favorite lenses. Do a search?

3. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've searched the internet for examples, but I only get some using the Nikkor. It looks like Picker didn't state on his site which images used which lens.

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I posted some shots with a Fuji 125 on 8x10 (well, just one), if you are just interested in the angle of view. The Angulon has a little more coverage (the Fuji clips the corners slightly, but easily cropped out when printing). I could scan in some other prints if you are interested.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=63370

5. Steve Goldstein

Steve Goldstein Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but Fred used the 120SA on 4x5, whereas the OP was asking about 8x10. Fred advocated lenses with gobs of coverage so one never had to worry about it, and came to recommend the 120/210 combination as his ideal for 4x5 usage. I forget which 210 he pushed but am pretty sure it was Schneider as well. He sold both through Zone VI at one time.

6. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks IC-Racer! The scan you posted there didn't show the corners too well, so more examples would help. The other guy's 115mm Caltar was impressive, too. I like your Shen-Hao, has it been good to work with?

7. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    that lens is going to cover but not all that well...for the life of me I owned that and with all due respect to Fred I hated it!! there are not that many options; possibly look for the 150 something mm Wolly wide angle (I'm looking for one myself but for whole plate); that lens will cover just fine
    Best, Peter

8. Maris

Maris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Schneider Super Angulon 121mm f8 that I own covers 8x10 with about 1mm to spare at infinity. It's my most used 8x10 lens for dramatic wide landscapes. Corner definition is a little dark (haven't got a centre filter) but surprisingly sharp at f22 and smaller although I would not put a key compositional element there.

The Schneider Super Angulon 120mm f8 lens I have borrowed does actually cover 8x10 better (maybe 5mm better) but doesn't represent a big enough advance on my old SA 121mm for me to splash out the necessary dollars.

My 159mm f9.5 Wollensak swallows 8x10 easily and on my Tachihara 810HD I can't bend the camera enough to run out of coverage. Whether coverage means "image circle" or "illumination circle" is moot because at f32 they look exactly the same; to my eyes at least.

9. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks, Maris. Peter, I used to have the Wollensak and hated it. It covered well enough, but wasn't sharp by any measure.

10. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    thanks to you too Greg...won't spend any more time looking for one of those!
    Best, Peter

11. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If you still want to try one, Igor's Camera in Ohio has one each of the f/9 and f/12 versions for around $300 or so. It's possible that my copy was really bad. It's been about 5 or 6 years since I used it.

12. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have shot the 120 on 8x10 a LOT. it covers, but not by much. I have shot the 120 on 4x10 a LOT more. I don't have any examples of 8x10 online, but my entire Utah Bigfoot series that I shot much of with the 4x10 is online. There are some examples of significant vignetting, but that was b/c of the Lee filter holder I was using (the rubber-band one...), and me getting sloppy/lazy.

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is another Fujinon 125mm on 8x10. It is cropped not much more than what I usually crop with a border easel to make sure the image edge dose not fall inside the blades.
    [​IMG]