Excellent Ciba Lab

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by nickrapak, Oct 2, 2010.

1. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got back an order of Ilfochromes from Owen Boyd in the U.K. I don't know why I haven't heard more about his services in the past, as the results were some of the best Ciba work I have seen. In addition, his prices are very reasonable, at only 11 GBP for an 8 x 10. His website is www.owenboyd.com

2. andrewkirkby

andrewkirkby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Interesting :smile:

3. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll have to try that. Thanks.

4. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did some foreign exchange conversion (GBP to Australian dollar) and observed his prices at the size I normally produce (460x305mm) are indeed extremely reasonable. Curious indeed.

6. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just emailed him about sending some work to him and he just told me that he is going to finish printing in October! :sad:

7. andrewkirkby

andrewkirkby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Stephen Frizza in Sydney also runs a great deal of Ilfochrome (the material formerly known as Cibachrome)

He's a member here and the prints he makes are amazing.

8. willrea

willrea Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ouch. He has reasonable pricing too.

9. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bad link

10. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rolf Berntzén, www.enbrabild.se is another reasonable priced Ilfochrome printer in Europe, Sweden actually. His site is only available in Swedish, but send him an email to get a quote.

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For those in the U.S.A., there is The Lab, in Burbank, CA (http://www.lab-ciba.com/). I have only used him once, but was astounded by what he printed. Maybe an option for those here who do not wish to ship film overseas. The problem is that he only prints on glossy, but he can overcoat to make matte (which is what I had done, and it looks great). I guess he cannot justify the minimum order for matter paper. For price comparison, his 8x10 charge is $50 for the first, and $30 for copies.

12. mhanc

mhanc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had excellent results with The Lab, in Burbank, CA and would HIGHLY recommend it.

13. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Terrible news. BPD photech is also stopping Ciba at the end of the year, I wonder are there any pro Ciba printers left in the UK. I recently got the new catalogue from First Call Photographic and in it they stated they were no longer stocking Ilfochrome products because of a recent price rise which they claimed was 'huge'. They said they would order materials if needed, but suggested customers should sit down before they are told the prices.

14. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is an appalling state of affairs when a premium, prestige, proven archival and unmistakably beautiful print medium such as Ilfochrome is discontinued as a service at the upper echelon of traditional wet pro-printers in preference for easier, cheaper, unproven substitutes (i.e. giclée, among). Really, I am wondering just what has got into photographers who only want prints on inkjet and call that "archival". Bollocks. I'll pursue Ilfochrome until the very last day it is available on the earth — I don't care where or how much.

15. roboflick

roboflick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree Frank Green is a master printer of cibachrome Ive really enjoyed working with him. He's working on a 40 by 50 inch print for me currently.
    Nik

http://www.lab-ciba.com/

16. andrewkirkby

andrewkirkby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am going to try and sell the sheet materials and P3 chemistry here to make it more available.

It is the Platinum standard in printing. There are 30 year old Cibachrome images on the wall at Stephen Frizza's lab and they still have a radiant, bright colour glow. There is NOTHING like it. No other print will have that colour, ever.

17. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ChromaColour had "old" Cibas on display in their downstairs gallery at their (defunct) lab in Kent Town. Some of those images I recall dated from the 1970s, including some printed in Ciba's quite striking alter-ego, monochrome (remember that Ilfochrome media has no black dye). Absolutely huge pano prints by Peter Lik and Peter Dobré of Australia's gorgeous Kimberley region were also on display (both guys the major movers and shakers in keeping the lab going, but alas...skid came to crunch...).