Excited! XE-1 coming my way (hopefully)!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by hoffy, May 19, 2010.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    howdy,

I have just been offered an Minolta XE-1 from an acquaintance (it was his fathers camera, his pride and joy before he passed away.). The camera has only been used once or twice in the last 10 or so years, but is apparently a goer (put it this way, its still worth it as the price is rightÂ…). The guy did mention, though, that when used automatically, his father did have issues with it and spent quite a bit of time calibrating it.

Can anyone advise whether there are inherent issues with this camera? Apparently it can still be used fully manually, but my understanding that this would only be at one shutter speed. Is this correct?

Also (and finally), does anyone know what batteries it took? Will I need to find a non-mercury replacement.

Any advice or comments on this camera would be appreciated (& sorry for the questions. I am currently at work, where I have very restricted internet access. I'm still surprised I can look at this place!)

Cheers

2. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Duracell D375B's or equivalent. Get it and crank a roll through it then we'll discuss issues.

4. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe that's a typo for D357B, which is the L1154, LR44, AG13, A76, 76A, GPA76, V13GA, G13A, LR1154, RW82, BLR44, L1154F, L1154H, FM28F, LR44W, CX44, MS76, 357A, KA76, PX76A, 675A, 675PK, PX76, GP76A, or one of many variants of the same, very common 1.5V button cell, still designed into many current electronics. Should be around for a very long time.

The camera takes two of these batteries, which can also be bought in a single jacket as a double height battery like the CR1/3N and equivalents.

XE-1 is a very nice camera.

Lee

5. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Guys.

I know that it comes with a Rokker 55mm lens (not sure which one) and a whole bunch of other gear. I just hope it all works (I was disappointed when I bought my first Minolta MF camera last year, it was a SRT303, but was DOA. I still have intentions to get it fixed).

Cheers