Exhibition of Carbon-on-Aluminum and Platinum Prints

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by bobherbst, Jan 31, 2010.

1. bobherbst

bobherbst Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    An Exhibition of Photography at Firelands Association for the Visual Arts

Structural Elements
    Carbon Transfer Prints on Aluminum and Platinum Prints on Paper
    by Bob Herbst
    February 28 - April 9, 2010
    Public Opening Reception February 28, 2:00 - 4:00pm
    Firelands Association for the Visual Arts (FAVA) Main Gallery
    New Union Center for the Arts
    39 South Main Street
    Oberlin, Ohio 44074
    www.favagallery.org
    (440) 774-7158
    Also featured in a separate gallery room is photography by Rebecca Dickerson​

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
  2. Jan Pietrzak

Jan Pietrzak Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have known Bob for a number of years and this show should be outstanding. If I was visiting the homelands of Cleveland this would be high on my list of must sees. Break a tripod leg.

All the best
    Jan/Gale Pietrzak

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Carbon on aluminum sounds like a great medium. I'm sure they don't translate well to the computer screen, but are there any scans online?

I'm also originally a Clevelander, but haven't spent much time there in the past 25 years. Best of luck with the show!

4. bobherbst

bobherbst Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Reproductions of the carbon-on-aluminum prints are relatively useless. Most of the carbon images in the exhibition had previously been printed in platinum and on Azo. There is a distinct difference in the appearance of the image when viewed in person, but it will not translate on a monitor. The relief will definitely not come through. I could post a JPG directly from the negative scan and it would look the same. At some point in the next month before the show opening, I will have all of the images posted on my web site. Most are there already but distributed across a couple different galleries. Framing comes first.

5. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Bob, congratulations. I have not yet gotten to try carbon on aluminum yet but I remember seeing some of the images. They are great! Good luck with the show. Well deserved.

Jim

6. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob, congrats! Wish I were going to be in the part of the country...

7. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A hearty congratulations to Bob for this body of work and for the exhibition. Unfortunately it is not possible to show surface relief in web images so I encourage everyone who can to attend this exhibition and see the real deal.

I saw a small example of Bob's work on aluminum a couple of years ago shortly thereafter also started experimenting in this media. As there is no one single look of carbon prints on paper there is also no one single look of carbon on aluminum as the final appearance of the image is much affected by the type of surface preparation. Most of my work has been on plain white aluminum surface, with as little surface prep as possible. It is also possible to print directly on some of the composite surface, Diabond and e-Bond for example, which are somewhat more dimensionally stable than plain aluminum sheets. These materials consist of two thin white aluminum sheets glued to some type of plastic core. As far as can determine there is little or no tradition of making carbon prints on aluminum so those working in the media today pretty much have to forge their own way in the the use of materials and surface preparation.

Sandy King

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  8. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wish I could make it to the hometown area (Elyria) in time to see the exhibit. Will have to settle for the images on your website, for now. Congrats on the exhibit.

9. bobherbst

bobherbst Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Exhibition Delivered to the Gallery

I delivered the exhibition to the gallery yesterday. It consists of fifteen carbon-on-aluminum prints in 8x10, 12x15, and 12x20, seven 8x10 and 12x20platinum/palladium prints and one silver gelatin print.

The carbon prints are presented as bare plates, without glass, and floated inside a thin black frame on black painted wood panels. Thin wood strips hold the plate away from the backing panel. The plates come pre-painted and must be prepped and sized in advance. All of the carbon images were registered in the middle of the aluminum plate at transfer time during printing process. The aluminum plates have 3/4" radius rounded corners.

The platinum prints are matted and framed behind glass.

I'll post an image after the work has been installed at the gallery.

10. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking forward to seeing it...best wishes for a successful exhibition.

11. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations on the show Bob! I am going to try to get down there to see it.

I don't suppose there's any way you might want to come up to Photostock in Northern Michigan this June to give a presentation and show the work? I realize it might be a long shot, but we sure would be honored to have you there!

12. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I second that, I am going to try to see this show.
    It would be great to see it at Photostock.

13. bobherbst

bobherbst Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Bill,

Thank you sincerely for the invitation, but I don't think I'll be able to make it. However, these days I try to never say never.

Putting carbon on aluminum is in its infancy as a process extension of carbon. I've really only started the exploration with the 150 or so transfers to aluminum that I've done so far. Those yielded only about 50 finished prints. A couple other people have experimented with other materials, but there is no standard way of doing it yet. Even I have ideas of how to modify the process to get a different finish on the print.

I did two demonstrations back-to-back in Santa Fe at APIS last July and the materials I use behaved entirely differently than in Ohio in my facilities. The first demo was successful, the second was not so successful as the heat increased toward noon. Luther Gerlach had the same problem with his ambrotype demo that ran concurrently, and he was working in his own portable darkroom truck.

But it looks like there is a good agenda lined up of very talented photographers. Have a great week!

Bob

14. bobherbst

bobherbst Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Attached are pictures from the gallery opening last Sunday. All of the carbon prints on aluminum were made with Bostick & Sullivan carbon tissue.

The gallery in Oberlin occupies most of the first floor of the building in the picture. Oberlin and Oberlin College are known as a a progressive community deeply supportive of the arts. The Allen Museum of Art is a few blocks away. They as well as the Cleveland Museum of Art have very impressive photography collections.

Last week, President Obama presented the Oberlin Conservatory of Music of Oberlin College with the 2009 National Medal of Arts at the White House. Created in 1984, the National Medal of Arts is the highest award given by the U.S. government to individuals and organizations that encourage the arts.

So it is somewhat of an honor to be invited to exhibit at the FAVA Gallery in Oberlin.

Bob Herbst

Attached Files:

15. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Bob, thanks for the great images for us to look at. What a very nice venue for your very fine work. Congratulations again.

Jim

16. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congrats, Bob!

17. AshenLight

AshenLight Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations!

Ash

18. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Bob, Congratulations on the great show! I understand about Photostock, but if you should change your mind, do not hesitate to get in touch. Thanks for considering us!