Expensive film!

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Rhodes, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    After a afternoon of shooting a few films, I went to (possibly) last photoshop that sells films here in my home town. I ask if they have b&w film and at what price.

They show me several apx 100 (35mm) and say that each film is 7.5€!!! :blink: And after asking the price of t-max professional and of the 120mm films that they have (mainly fp+ and hp5+), the person respond that all are 7.5€.

Elite chrome and agfa color film and I think all the color film was also the same price...

2. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Get thee to the internets! :smile:

3. mark

mark Member

Those mom and pop shops are neat but the prices are INSANE!!!!!!!!!! I order from the net.

4. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&H Photo, NYC. Enough said.

5. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just out of curiosity, to the OP: where are you? Rhodes, really?

6. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm lucky to have a camera store nearby that keeps prices competitive.

As others have suggested, check out the prices on the internet instead, and order in quantity to justify the cost of shipping.

The prices you mentioned will, unfortunately, probably have that camera store out of the business of selling film.

7. cantore

cantore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 and X1000... B&H is the best.. Prices/Shipping! Unless you shoot or print Adox, then you have to use Freestlye.

8. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For those of us on the western side of the pond, Adorama in NYC is a good place to buy film too. Much cheaper than my local camera store, who wants $13 for a roll of Provia 100f. i can get it for about half that from B&H or Adorama.

9. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Uh, guys, the OP is someplace in Europe. I'm sure that shipping from US suppliers to Europe would eat up any minor savings. Fact is, the OP will have to watch the shipping cost vs. buying local. If a roll of film is €5, shipping is €5, then there's no savings, right?

10. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    True. But (usually) the more quantity you buy the cheaper shipping becomes, to the point where if you buy a good supply, the shipping becomes a small percentage.

11. mbsmith

mbsmith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My local shop tries to be competetive with online retailers... And even gets close most times. Except for Ilford products, which are much cheaper online.

Chemistry is another matter which baffles me. My local shop is usually 10%-20% less than online sellers :blink:
    I'm guessing they take a loss on that. But it keeps me coming back!

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My local sources are about 25 - 30% higher than the least expensive internet sources for something like TMY 120. I have to pay tax on top, but no shipping :smile:.

If I travel down to Seattle, Glazer's is close to internet prices, but some tax gets added there as well.

I'm comfortable paying the difference.

13. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry, forgot that I do not have the location information in my user. I am from Portugal, little town of Figueira da Foz.
    I order my films from the onlineshops of Lisbon or Porto. Prices are good, apx at 2.50, tmax/tri-x at 4.60, etc. I just wanted to share a bit of insane prices due to be b&w films (or just films). If the prices in that photographer were cheap or at least "normal", I glady buy it, but with a film being 5€ more, no way.
    I understand that they do not sell film as they sold year's ago, but with those prices, I think they will not sell at all.

14. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    film IS expensive !

prices of 4x5 film has pretty much doubled ( more than doubled ) in the last 10years
    ( in 2001 100sh box of tmy SHIPPED from b+h was 65$, last year, 50sh box from b+h SHIPPED 75$ )

photography is an expensive pursuit, but lots of fun.
    look for expired film, sometimes you can get a deal on it, and sometimes you "get what you pay for"

i mainly shoot expired film ( all formats 110-8x10 ) and expired paper ( for prints, as well as paper negatives 4x5-7x15 )

happy hunting !
    john

15. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Freestyle still has some very good deals.

16. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Some stores figure that since they sell less film than before they have to charge more.

It reminds me of the old depression story of the boy selling apples. A well dressed man in a long limousine pulls over and asks the boy,"how much for an apple, kid."

The boy replies, "$1,000 !"

The man chuckles, "You're not going to sell many apples at that price, son."

Kid answers, "I only gotta sell ONE, mister."

17. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Actually I think I pay less for most analogue supplies (film included) than in the goold old analogue days. Back then everything came from brick & mortar, today I get it online. It makes all the difference.

18. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heck go to the internet. I sure that you can find some place that will sell some film.

Jeff

19. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Retail price is largely determined by volume. If the gross volume declines due to a drop in demand, the price rises. This is usually driven by the channel ordering process through distribution costs. Retailers often have little control. They either drop their margins or drop the product. Dropping margins is financial suicide, so they charge what they have to. Dropping the price of film will not increase sales in the face of digital, unfortunately. That price decrease would have to come from the factory.

20. K-G

K-G Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From a european point of view I would recomend you to look at the web-pages for Fotoimpex in Berlin and Silverprint in London. They both have a good suply of both film and paper. When it comes to film, Fotoimpex is slightly less expensive and when it it comes to Ilford paper
    Silverprint has definitely the best prices. Silverprint can not send chemicals out from the UK but Fotoimpex can send out of Germany. To Fotoimpex you pay in Euro and to Silverprint in GBP ( Pounds ). Within Europe the costs for postage are not astronomical. Both companies are well organized and reliable. I enclose links to their web-pages so you can look for yourself.
    Good luck !

Karl-Gustaf

http://www.fotoimpex.de/
    http://www.silverprint.co.uk/

21. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  22. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good links, bedankt Sander.

23. Pat Erson

Pat Erson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  24. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not entirely fair. Photostock's 3.10 euro/film price only goes for 02/2012 dated Tri-x. Also, you're not allowed to order >10 films of their freshest Tri-x stock. Yes, the French are weird!

(Disclaimer: I like French fries, have been to France several times, can order a bread and talk about the weather, know French people who are all very nice & France is the most beautiful continental European country that I've visited.)